Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car accident

Last edited by Anitapooh; 08-01-2011, 04:26 AM.

Re: Car accident

If there are no drugs or alcohol involved and no one is killed, it is pretty much a civil matter (ie: police do short report, give them a copy and the police are done with the matter. Just an insurance matter.)

If they need to wait for a new fan blade or radiator or some repair, that is very plausible. If their driver's license was expired, then that might keep them in place for a day or two.

In the real world police don't fuss too much over car accidents after the vehicles are removed from blocking traffic and any medical patients are taken away unless there is a death. They do a report of the brief facts for the insurance companies and wash their hands of the situation.

Of course a screenplay isn't fully reality, so any plausible reason can work.

R.O.T.

Comment

One quasi logical way this could happen in the states is if someone in the accident had their name come up in the cop's computer as having a warrant. I had a friend who this happened to. He was driving to San Antonio and someone ran into him (not even his fault) and since his name came up on the cop's computer, he had to go with the officer to the station in some Podunk town. Turns out the computer was wrong.

Plus having worked on software for the DA's office in Tarrant County, I can tell you this happens more than you would think. I'm not saying it's an everyday occurrence just that it does happen.

Though I would imagine they would be stuck in jail if this did happen and not forced to hang out in the city. They either jail you or let you go.
      The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

True, very true.

No, I never saw any episodes of Studio 60. But, I did see King Ralph, which might explain why JG is playing a small character on only one episode.
        The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by Anitapooh View Post
          In this thriller I am writing on, there is a car accident, and so what I am not sure of is what happens after the accident for the people involved.

They go to the hospital of course, but later the police questions them on what happened yeah? But what I am really curious about is if the police would want lets say if the people involved are tourists and they were on their way to somewhere -- are they now at any time free to leave this car accident town? Or would the police want them to stay there for a couple of days? (In the story one person is missing from the accident scene.)
          So I want the main character to have to stay in this town for a couple of days, but am not quite sure on how to "twist" that. Not sure if he stays because he HAS to, or if it's even important at all. Anyone know?

Why not just pin the extra days on the car being broken?

If it's a small enough town, maybe the auto repair guy is the sheriff's brother. Maybe the gag is there's not specific legal cause to hold the LC, but the powers in control of the resources in the town are sort of passively keeping the LC there. It's not like you can just rent a car in every little town.

Of course we've seen that before. The interesting aspect of it sounds like the missing person.
          - - - - - - -
          Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

PS: If you haven't seen it, check out Red Rock West.
            - - - - - - -
            Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

Working...
            X