Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US military organizations

I'm currently working on a fictional thriller/action adventure script partially based around the missions of a particular military organization in the US, but focusing more the fictional mission than the actual organization.

I was wondering if there anything I should know about writing about such organizations. For example, does one need permission to write about a particular military group even if the only things being used are the organization's name, a bit of history and so on? Also, do they mind foreigners (I'm a New Zealander) writing about them?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, particularly those by writers with military based scripts in their portfolio.

Is your script about how hereoic and brave these soldiers are or does it show them as evil warmongers?

If it's the former then there is an office in LA run by the US military whose sole job is to help with movie projects. They can advise on military procedure, the lingo, weapons, military law etc as well as help with providing shooting on location at bases, maybe even arrange hire of tanks or fighter jets. Their mission is to ensure the US is shown in a positive and realistic light in the media.

If your movie is the latter then good luck. They can't stop you, unless you're actually making specific alegations that are untrue or feature actual names of real life military personel, but you have to find your own trucks, helicopters, locations etc.

See www.bilderberg.org/product.htm (2nd story)

Comment

Once asked about his novels (Bourne Identity series, and shitloads of others), folks asked Robert Ludlum how he'd become an expert on the inner, secret workings of the CIA.

His answer:

"I just made up the departments I needed."

Comment

US military special operations

For more research on US military special operations/special forces I highly suggest these great non-fiction books;

Delta Force; Charles Beckwith
        Inside the Delta Force; Eric Haney
        One Perfect Op; Dennis Chalker
        Red Cell and Rogue Warrior; Richard Marcinko
        First SEAL: Roy Beahm
        Tom Clancy's non-fiction book about the US Special Operations Command

Also see;
        www.firstgov.gov and wwwloc.gov

8)

Comment

Re: US military special operations

Thank you for the info and suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Comment

Working...
          X