I Need to put my Grandma in the Hospital :)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need to put my Grandma in the Hospital :)

Alright, I'm not really into the whole asking people for ideas on my screenplay thing, but since my medical knowledge extends about as far as what was covered on last week's "Scrubs," I figured I might as well put it out there. I've researched WebMD, but maybe someone here knows something/someplace better:

*Anyways*, in my screenplay, I need the main character's grandmother to land in the hospital. Easy enough right? Well, she has to stay there for a few days at least, must be able to have some kind of conversation, *and* she needs to need her stuff from home (because my character needs to go the grandmother's house where she finds secret stuff. I know...how cliched is that?! :P) Also, the grandmother has just recently lost her husband of over 50 years.

Does anyone with some kind of medical knowledge know of something that might work, or direct me towards a website or something that might me able to help me out? Thanks in advance, it's very much appreciated!

She could have a "temporary" problem that lands her in the hospital - perhaps she is diabetic and her blood sugar levels came out too high or too low. Maybe once there in the Emergency Room, the doctors decide because of her age, they will keep her a day or two for observation and then they always start tinkering and finding even more problems, like dehydration. This has happened with me and my Mom and what we thought was going to be a quick in-and-out with the Emergency Room usually results in a week or two there.

Comment

This one is too easy. The most common disease in older women is osteoporosis. One of the most common injuries is a fall with a broken hip, which requires an extended hospital stay.

Comment

That just might be perfect Q.U., thanks so much! That's much better than anything I had, lol.

Comment

Many old people develop Diverticulosis, a pitting of the Colon wall, sometimes these get clogged with food and abscess and the condition turns into a potentially life threatening condition called Diverticulitis. The usual remedy before surgery is necessitated is to place the ill person on intravenous antibiotics and ice chips for a few days and then liquids and soft diet.

After the condition heals(the infection is brought under control), about a week if it responds, the patient can return home. The danger with Diverticulitis is that if the colon ruptures due to the abscesses in the wall... bad news as fecal matter will spill into the abdominal cavity causing peritonitis and possible death.

Usually multiple attacks(infections) will necessitate a bowel resection later and preferably when no infection is present. This allows the surgeon to be more "conservative" in the amount of colon he removes.

If your lucky you won't have to where a colostomy bag! They simply cut out the bad piece(usually in the Sigmoid Colon and sometimes affecting the lower part of the ascending colon) and then simply re-suture the two ends back together!

Easy peasy Japanesee!

For additional ideas consult the physicians who use this site and are also writers!

As far as getting the relative home to retrieve something, how about a bottle of bulk forming natural psyllium fiber... a must have for all ex-Diverticulitis patients.

Again, consult a real physician, I'm only a hack writer so what do I know?:lol

Comment

A broken hip is always a good one, but it will also disable grandma for quite some time, so if you need her up and about later in the script, you might just have her suffer a mild heart attack. They'd certainly keep her under observation for a few days or they might perform a coronary artery bypass graft (CABG - or "cabbage") procedure, which would also keep her in the hospital while remaining relatively lucid. Since about 1/3 of Americans will die of heart disease, this is really her most likely reason for admission. The heart attack moment also gives you a nice dramatic scene and if she has CABG you've got an instant joke - "I don't even like cabbage" or whatever.

Comment

Big fright. My mother (already in her late 60's) started having neck and head pain and she couldn't move half her face. We freaked and rushed her to the ER thinking stroke!. Fortunately it turned out to be bells palsy (I don't know if thats its proper spelling though) They sent her home almost the same day with medication although they wanted to keep her for observation (and probably to milk her health insurance.)

ABZ

Comment

Regardless of how you get her in the hospital, the granddaughter would probably have to go to her house to collect any other meds she might be taking on a regular basis.

Most old people I know take numerous medications.

Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                X