Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about police procedure?

i'm working on the story outline for a thriller where my female protag is the target of a serial killer. i am at a point in my story where she realizes that she knows the past two victims and is scared she may be next and decides to call the police.

in a situation like this how do police typically handle it? do they have a squad car sit outside your house or something? that seems kinda cliche, but if that's standard procedure maybe i can put a spin on it.
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Re: Question about police procedure?

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
    in a situation like this how do police typically handle it?
    Sh1t, I don't even know.

Corona
    I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
    I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

so you've never called the police in fear of a serial killer????
      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

so you've never called the police in fear of a serial killer????
        Man, you'd think I'd know this but I don't.

Corona
        I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
        I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

Black & White would take the initial report. If they felt it warranted, evidence of a threat, possible harm to the PR and not just suspicion, the Detectives might respond otherwise the PR would be told to stay elsewhere for the night and followup with the Detectives in the morning. Not much the police can do unless there are previous reports of threats or evidence at the scene.

Detectives would respond sooner if a serial killer task force was already up and running.
          "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Comment

code7films that's right you were a cop for a while right? i seem to remember seeing you mention that in a thread a while back.

anyway, so this serial killer has murdered 3 people already - there would be a serial killer task force already up and running by then correct?

my protag has already moved to another location (same city) by the time she realizes she may be in danger. she also calls up a detective she met when her husband recently abused her (dislocated her arm). would the husband be a suspect or would the cops start looking into his past or whatever?

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

code7films that's right you were a cop for a while right? i seem to remember seeing you mention that in a thread a while back.

Yes

anyway, so this serial killer has murdered 3 people already - there would be a serial killer task force already up and running by then correct?

Three people murdered would be the min needed to justify a task force. Forming a task force would depend on several factors. Pressure from the news media/public to solve the crimes. High profile killings that put pressure on the police or make them look bad. Politics, chief, prosecutor, city council members up for reelection.

Once up and running, are the detectives working it quietly as to not tip off the killer or provoking him in a way to cause him to slip up.

my protag has already moved to another location (same city) by the time she realizes she may be in danger. she also calls up a detective she met when her husband recently abused her (dislocated her arm). would the husband be a suspect or would the cops start looking into his past or whatever?

Why would the husband be a suspect just based on assauting his wife? Does he have a violent past? Former wives or girlfriends of his that died suspiciously or disappeared. Evidence the wife found in the house causing her to believe he is involved in the killings. Numerous possibilities here...
              Code7
              "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Comment

ok cool thanks. one of the victims was a woman the husband had an affair with, but she was killed a year after he was caught and he had an alibi (he was in another state with several witnesses). does this rule the husband completely out at this point? i'm trying to create a situation where she accuses him or suggests he could be the killer but the police dismiss it.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Have the wife investigate his alibi and punch a few small holes in it, but not enough for the police to investigate further.

Comment

sweet, sounds logical enough. thanks.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

could be a potential for a big reveal there (a la Just Cause), where she does her own investigating and suddenly realizes the husband faked his alibi.

And then he steps into the scene.

Comment

Working...
                      X