Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murder on air

Let's say we have a late night radio phone in show. And one of the callers announces live on air that he's got a person held hostage and he's going to kill said hostage on the show. Would the station automatically cut him off for fear of the backlash or would they keep the caller on the line?

Any ideas? Thanks!

Re: Murder on air

It's been done previously on several cops shows with the radio/TV station remaining on air during the incident.
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Comment

Thanks, Code7!

Comment

Example - Not exactly what you requested, but close...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/8327/swat-any-second-now
        "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Comment

There's a similar incident in the novel Clockers, but I don't know if it made it to the movie.
          TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

I was an overnight jock (aka "on-air talent"). At most stations, late at night, it's the jock's call what goes on or not. Nobody monitors them (at least, in mid-sized markets). Maybe you could add that dilemma for the jock to decide whether to broadcast it or not.

Comment

Maybe have the caller tell the D.J. that he's going to kill the hostage if he takes him off the air... even if he plans to kill the hostage on air anyway?

Good luck, Doubler.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandoraisme View Post
                Maybe have the caller tell the D.J. that he's going to kill the hostage if he takes him off the air... even if he plans to kill the hostage on air anyway?

Good luck, Doubler.
                Good one Pandy.

And then the DJ can tell the Caller that he'll take him off the air if he kills the Hostage.

And then the Caller can tell the DJ that he'll kill the Hostage if he's taken off the air.

And they can go back and forth like that.

And after five minutes, the Hostage says, "Oh, just kill me for crissake! I can't take any more."
                sigpic

Comment

"Dude... play 'Stairway to Heaven' or the hostage gets it!"
                  "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by doubler83 View Post
                    Let's say we have a late night radio phone in show. And one of the callers announces live on air that he's got a person held hostage and he's going to kill said hostage on the show. Would the station automatically cut him off for fear of the backlash or would they keep the caller on the line?

Any ideas? Thanks!
                    TALK RADIO doesn't do this, but it's a film that may give you some ideas.
                    Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by doubler83 View Post
                      Would the station automatically cut him off for fear of the backlash
                      Well if they did it would be a pretty short movie, wouldn't it?

Comment

methinks most shows are put on a delay just in case someone comes on cussin' and swearin' or saying something crazy. but it's a movie so...

but i can imagine this: the talk radio host keeps the guy on the line and lets him think he's on the air saying whatever the hell he wants to say and then later the guy turns up the radio and realizes that he's not on the air and this catapults him into rage and now goes after the radio host... but the radio host doesn't know that he figured it out and doesn't know that the guy is on his way to the station to kill him b/c they continue to engage in conversation throughout.

does that make sense?

remember this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067588/

Comment

Working...
                        X