Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mad alcoholic

Is there a clinical name for a condition when a person drinks alcohol and becomes very angry and violent?

I need the medical term...for a romantic comedy I'm writing.

Thanks guys and gals....

gdover

Delirium Tremens

Jouni

Comment

DTs

The DTs are a very serious condition. Symptoms may be: confusion, hallucinations, hypertension, fever, memory problems, seizures, and (what you want) agitation. DTs are however less a sign of alcoholism itself, as they are a part of the withdrawal from alcohol.

As far as alcohol induced rage, I am not familiar with an -ism or -ology that people attach to that. Other than the lovable WC Fields, most alcoholics these days are portrayed on tv shows like Cops.

The reason that there is no specifc symptomolgy for violence is because, like many drugs it affects the mood of the user. So a guy can be drunk and happy, only to come home and feel that his wife is "against" him, and now, he is a domestic abuser.

Now, all that said, there is some evidence that correlates alcohol, impulsive violence and low levels of CSF 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA). Low levels of CSF 5-HIAA have been found to indicate anti-social behavior. And what is more anti-social than impulsive violence?

The important word here is impulsiveness. High levels of testosterone tend to indicate a higher level of aggression. But it is alcohol and low levels of CSF 5-HIAA that will combine to make liquid courage.

Comment

Re: DTs

Here's the problem....

The character can't handle liquor...makes him crazy...nice guy one minute...take a drink or two and his mild manner turns him into Audie Murphy...(remember this is a comedy) and makes him absolutely wild...while under the influence...his sidekicks are always on the lookout to make sure no booze comes his way.

One other piece of info...the character is a felon on parole and drinking is prohibited.

I just need a medical term that comes close to this condition that's easily said and remembered...something in latin sounds good...however I'm open to other suggestions...as long as it sounds believable.

Comment

hmm

I'm pretty sure you'd have to make up a term. You could give us some combination Greek or Latin. Ferox ad aqua vitae.

It sounds like you have a character with a large flow of testosterone, a low serotonin count. The alcohol turns an already agressive character into an impulsively violent one.

For a comedy, then you could just come up with a funny sounding Latin term.

Comment

Re: hmm

Also rent Billy Wilder's "The Lost Weekend", about a guy with the DTs.

Comment

Re: hmm

The character can't handle liquor...makes him crazy...nice guy one minute...take a drink or two a
              He's not a drunk, he's a light weight. I wouldn't bother with the alcoholism angle. I go the other extreme, he's almost allergic to it and the booze has got a strong effect on him.

A real drunk wouldn't even be phased by one drink. he'd have to, say go through a pint of Gin with his coffee in the morning just so he could get up to go to the bar.

Comment

that first drink

What a great point, whistlelock.

That first drink is the best. Somewhere between the first and the last a drinker can become a violent a-hole. Impulsive, aggressive, mean.

Comment

Not A Medical Term, But It's Latin

"Potorum Rixae" would translate into a quarrelsome drinker.

Comment

That's it....

You're on target with that Whistle...

I like that angle...makes for more humorous situations without knocking on alcoholism which is a very serious subject...

Thanks...I'll rework the scene...appreciate the input...

The setting for the story is New Orleans French Quarter/ Bourbon Street...should make for some funny situations for the character and his sidekicks...

Also appreciate the other input as well...very helpful...

Also...Fortean...I like the Potorun Rixae...I will use that line...I already see point where I can pop those words in there.

Gdover

Comment

Working...
                    X