Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese/Romaji

Looking to verify the translation and pronunciation of some Romanized Japanese words (below). I have tried numerous translation sites but not had success. I assume the Romaji below is Hepburn system. I really don't know anything about this, but the words are:

Kuri kaesa-nai

I have been told they mean, "It must never happen again." If anyone knows a more accurate way to say "It must never happen again" in Japanese, I would really appreciate your help. It's important to the story I'm working on.

I do need to know how to pronounce the above phrase (or any another offered in response).

Many thanks!

Re: Japanese/Romaji

There are a few Japanese speakers here, so I'm sure you'll get an answer soon.

In the meantime, my daughter attends a Japanese bilingual school and I'm about to pick her up. I could check with the many Japanese women I know there. (One of whom is a translator.)

I'll get back to you.
    sigpic

Website
    Tweets
    Book

Comment

Sorry this took longer than planned. The choices I was given by my daughter's Japanese teacher (native Japanese, btw) were (separated out for pronunciation which follows Spanish pronunciation):

ku-ri-ka-e-sa-re-ru be-ki-de-wa a-ri-ma-sen

or

(More serious, more ominous, and more formal)

ku-ri-ka-e-sa-ra-e-te-wa i-ke-ma-sen

Hope this helps. Although she was very concerned with context, so you might want to get a proper (Japanese) reader onto it - in context - before you settle on one.
      sigpic

Website
      Tweets
      Book

Comment

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
        Sorry this took longer than planned. The choices I was given by my daughter's Japanese teacher (native Japanese, btw) were (separated out for pronunciation which follows Spanish pronunciation):

ku-ri-ka-e-sa-re-ru be-ki-de-wa a-ri-ma-sen

or

(More serious, more ominous, and more formal)

ku-ri-ka-e-sa-ra-e-te-wa i-ke-ma-sen

Hope this helps. Although she was very concerned with context, so you might want to get a proper (Japanese) reader onto it - in context - before you settle on one.
        Thank you. I think I would need the more "ominous" choice. It's about preventing a disaster.

Now the only thing I am wondering is this: where does the emphasis go in pronouncing these syllables? And what about the vowels that are next to each other?

Anyone who might be able to give me some insight, your help is appreciated. Thanks again!

Comment

I believe it would be:

kurikaesaraete wa ikemasen

: from the ominous example

kurikaesu is the verb "to repeat"

ikemasen is the negative form of the verb ikemaru "to allow to do something".
          so kurikaesaraete ikemasen means "can't allow you to repeat the behaviour"

like in your first example of kurikaesa-nai. its the same "to repeat" verb with the "nai" which is also a negative. so it would seem to mean almost the same thing.

i haven't studied Japanese too much so I may be wrong on some details but overall I believe in general I'm correct.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffkantoku View Post

like in your first example of kurikaesa-nai. its the same "to repeat" verb with the "nai" which is also a negative. so it would seem to mean almost the same thing.

i haven't studied Japanese too much so I may be wrong on some details but overall I believe in general I'm correct.
            Most of this is right but the "-nai" ending is informal. The "-masen" ending is formal and more serious. So while they "mean the same thing" they have different intentions and styles. A formal usage is definitely better. If it's a work, business or institutional setting, they would never use the informal. Between friends, maybe. But for intensity and emphasis, the -masen ending bears more weight.
            sigpic

Website
            Tweets
            Book

Comment

Thank you so very much for your replies! I've been working on the script, so haven't been able to visit here for a while. I appreciate all your helpful answers!

I'm sorry - I should've provided more info. In the story, this phrase would be said by an older Japanese woman to both a close friend and a sibling. All the people in this conversation are in their 70's, and the person saying it is making a comment on society, regarding war: "It must never happen again." This remark signals her intent to stand up for a cause and speak out at a rally for peace.

So, would the informal term be appropriate?

Also, what about pronunciation? I understand each vowel a syllable, but where would I place the emphasis?

Well, maybe i should put it this way. When I read "kurikaesa nai" aloud to myself I say it thusly:

KOO-ree-KAY-suh-NYE'

Is that close? Please let me know - and thanks again for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X