Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schizophrenia medication

Does anyone know what they prescribe for schizophrenia? I need something that, if withdrawn, will flush out of the system rapidly, thereby allowing a person to become psychotic again in a short time.

If nothing fits the bill, is there another diagnosis I could use? Something that would make a person homicidally psychotic, yet sane as you or I after treatment and as long as they take their medication?

Thanks for any enlightenment anyone can offer.

Lee

Schizophrenia Medication

Maybe, Dclarytin?

Comment

Re: Schizophrenia Medication

www.schizophrenia.com/new.../meds.html

Here you go... Scroll down a bit to: Some of the Common Traditional Medications for Schizophrenia

Each medication listed has a link that shows all of its "indications." I'm sure something there will be useful to you.

--Kenn

www.kennhoekstra.com

Comment

(I assume you talk of paranoid schizophrenia, and not the more common disorganized schizophrenia.)

There aren't many reports on the time delay effects caused by missed dosages, but normally it takes 2-3 days before the symptoms return.

Antipsychotics, also called neuroleptics, are used to treat psychotic symptoms, such as hallucinations (the perception of sensations that aren't real, such as hearing voices) and delusions (strange beliefs that are not based in reality).

Conventional antipsychotics have been used to treat mental disorders since the mid-1950s. These medicines work by blocking dopamine receptors in the brain. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter believed to be involved in psychotic mental disorders, such as schizophrenia. The conventional antipsychotics include Thorazine, Prolixin, Haldol, Navane, Stelazine, Trilafon and Mellaril.

Atypical antipsychotics are newer medications that work by blocking dopamine and serotonin receptors in the brain. These drugs include Risperdol, Clozaril and Zyprexa. Two additional medications -- sertindole and ziprasidone -- are currently being tested.

If you overdose on Clozaril (clozapine), it can lead to delirium. Is that what you're looking for?

However, some patients are treated with Risperdal are also treated with mood stabilizing medications to control the symptoms. Failure to take these medications also take a couple of days.

This is an interesting article for motivation to not take the medication: Memory and Schizo meds

Hope that helps.

Comment

I have a character who killed several people, and was sent down for treatment with an insanity defense. He's out now, and I needed to know how long he would have to be off his meds before he descended back into the state under which he committed the crimes.

Thanks to both of you for the info. I really appreciate it. I have some serious reading to do now...

Lee

Comment

Just say that he was on Haldol and was off of it for a few days. Don't worry about the "flushout" time.

Comment

LOL, Fortean! :rollin

God, I'm still laughing.

No, I'm not.

Yes, I am.

Comment

Working...
              X