Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automotive support

Fifteen years as an auto mechanic (BMW's, Porsches, MBenz, Land/Range Rover's and countless others). Some auto racing experience. Third generation mechanic. Been around cars all my life. Tons of technical advice. At your disposal.

For free. Be glad to help you, as time allows. (However, if I don't know the answer to your question, I'll tell you I don't know.)

Rock on.
    CBiggs
    [email protected] (Be sure to put AUTO TECH QUESTIONS in the subject or you'll get tossed by the spam filter.)

Funny. I just had a question about cars...

I don't know a thing about cars, except that I've driven them and changed a tire or two.

What I need for my story is this: An older car (pre-computer) that a rich kid would receive as a gift from indulgent parents. A convertible would be great. The car has to be teenage cool and fixable by someone very knowledgable about cars but who lacks expensive equipment.

Comment

It would have to be something pre-early 70's. That's when all the stuff was pre-smog. Any of these cars should be able to be maintained with just the basic skills and/or equipment.

If he's really hip he might request a '65-67 Pontiac GTO. A VERY hip car. A 65-66 Mustang is definately a girls car. A '68 Shelby Mustang would make the cut for a guy but, these cars are ALL muscle and not for the passive natured. The Olds 442 is a good balance between refined yet, powerful. Chevy Chevelle would also work but these are reserved for the unltimate motorheads. (A guy with this car does nothing else besides tinker with it.) All convertibles, of course.

If the character is of the suave nature, he/she might require something foreign. Say a Porsche 911. Difficult to drive but, when driven well, unstoppable. A cat in this car is either spoiled or one heck of a driver. (More often than not, the former.) A MBenz 380-420 SL is a good looking car and powerful, however, if the guy is a "driver", no one would take him seriously. Not EVER! A Datsun 2000 is a sweet little ride, especially when hopped up at home. Good racing pedigree, too. A BMW 2002tii spanks as well, but no practical convertible.

For my money to place a character in a car, it's all based on stereotypes from the advertising of the day. Unless of course there were just a plain old sentimental attraction (always allowable). Think about why your character WANTS to work on his/her own car or WHY would the parents give him/her THAT one. Stereotypically, you can tell a lot by what a character drives. Or at least it should be that way.

For example, I have a female character that drives a hopped up '83 Chevy Camaro Z28. She did all the work herself and can tell you why she did what she did. She can also drive every bit of potential out of the car.

Hope that lengthy reply helps.
      Rock on.

Comment

Thanks. It helps a ton. I'm going to google the names of some of these cars to find the right one.

(edited to add: the Shelby Mustang was exactly what I had in mind.)

Comment

Hello.

Possibly a classic Corvette: Veering softer, vintage late-50s; veering brutish, mid-60s plus. Personally, Iâ€TMd ask Mom and Dad for a â€TM67 L88. Maybe a â€TM63 split-window and a visit to the Monster speed shop. Theyâ€TMre available as convertibles (not the split, obviously).

Iâ€TMd disagree about the earlier Mustang. An earlier, 4-barrel, 4-speed 289 isnâ€TMt a car that says Princess. McQueen had this-vintage Mustang in Bullitt. A bit common, and Iâ€TMd much rather have the Corvette, or Z-28/427 Camaro.

If Mom and Dad are really set-up, then Iâ€TMd like a GT40. Maybe I could settle for a 427 Cobra. Thatâ€TMd have to be a convertible.

Comment

Dead on, Steve. The only trouble with having these as daily driver's is I'd never get out of them!

Rock on.

PS-- I think if they remade Bullit, McQueen would be in one of those new SVT Mustangs. What a rocket ship! And for less than $50K.

Comment

dear 12 pack
              q about 911s.

i understand there are several types of whale tails on older 911s.

carerra, turbo and i believe in 77' or so model, a modified carerra tail that looks extended? know whadda mean?

what is that called?

and what year did they use the orange corner rears on 911s? or was it aftermarket euro lenses?

Comment

Gee whiz, man. That's a lot of detail for a screenplay, ain't it? Good luck selling something with that much detail in it. I gotta know, what kind of story line do you have that requires that kind of info? I mean if a guy gets run over by a 911 or whatever, I don't think it's really gonna matter what color the tail light lens is. Do you?

As to your question, I don't know. You could probably get that kind of info at your local library. Porsches are pretty popular topics for automotive writers.

Rock on.

Comment

you said you are the expert, i'm just askin questions here.
                  so obviously you dunno....

thats alright..

Comment

Actually, I find your response quite â€off-puttingâ€. A phrase like â€so you obviously donâ€TMt know†doesnâ€TMt really encourage me to reach out and spend my time responding productively. The opposite, actually. But Lord knows I step, and have stepped, and will step, on a lot of toes unintentionally here and abroad the â€-net, I know a little bit about the Porsche family, and, well, even if I might be the most loathed person here and on TwoAdverbs, maybe youâ€TMre in good company and we can channel some good vibes.

1. I have no idea when the tail-light cover color changed.

Did you ever see that television show from the 70s, something like â€Ask the Expertâ€, or something like that? Every week theyâ€TMd have some no-body who possibly knew every-thing about some-subject. World War II, Matisse, Barbie Dolls, whatever. The contestant had to answer a sequence of increasingly difficult and obscure questions, in their one area of expertise, of course, to get the prize money. More questions, more money. Double-or-nothing all the way.

I hadnâ€TMt thought about that show in twenty years.

2. The first, AFAIK, Porsche rear spoiler (commercially) was the duck tail on the â€TM73 RS. $100K for that car today.

The â€TM74 RSR was the first, AFAIK, to have the â€whale†tail, or possibly â€wail†â€taleâ€. The Turbo Carreras (and let us say thanks to our patron turbocharged saint, the honorable homolgation E. [or is it â€-Vâ€TM?] Fuhrman) took over that body style, and kept the â€Carrera†over the sills too.

From there, the rear deck lid is going to change with the intercooler, etc. A popular choice was the K3/K27 intercooler, and that box looked like it could inhale a large child, and I think the tail had to be changed with it. And there were a whole host of impersonator/after-market knock offs for the people who wanted to pretend. And those came in all sorts of dimensions, Iâ€TMm sure.

Well, thatâ€TMs really all I know.

Good luck.

Comment

off putting

that sounds like 70's, you are correct.
                      the other steve, appreciate the effort on your knowledge on 911s. and yeah, sometimes the email sounds very dry without the emotional tone.

im not tryin' to be cocky, but merely askin a question, you dont know, then, you dont know.

and no, i do not recall the show in the 70's, too young.
                      thanks,

Comment

Re: off putting

Read and re-read my original post. I never claimed to be an expert. But, I apperciate your compliment. Perhaps if you read the post that followed the original, you'd get a sense of what sort of assistance I'm offering.

However, as I asked in my response to your question, what does your question have to do with a screenplay? I think you're missing the point. Works written as specifically as your question:
                        a) aren't in the movies, those are called documentaries. And the people writing those AREN'T hanging out in here.
                        b) with the exception of "My Cousin Vinny", I can't think of a movie with those types of particulars important to the story.
                        c) I expect if you ask me what color your mom's car is, I'd get that wrong, too.
                        This ain't a payin' gig, man. The world is round; I'm just trying to help people out.
                        Rock on.

Comment

Rap on

12 pack
                          appreciate your effort as well, i suggest you re-read your post. 15 yrs as greasemonk might've gotten to you a bit yes?

how my question pertains to screenplay, is really not your bizness now is it? espcially when you don't much about it.

out of all the films in the world, you pick my cousin vinny as comparison lets me further know, you dont know jack.

... payin gig,,,, scoffin'
                          Rap On

Comment

Working...
                          X