Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate from a ship

Does anyone really still offload wooden crates from ships like in the movies? A crate is lifted off the ship and lowered to the dock by a crane and ropes.

Or does everything (crated or otherwise) just arrive in those big metal shipping containers?

Thanks.
    LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/josephluna
    Blog:S#ARP NOTES
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/josephdluna

Re: Crate from a ship

I don't know if this helps, but you can still send stuff via Tea chests (sea mail) from the UK to Australia. I'm guessing you can from the US too. They're still made of wood packaging, and are crate-like in appearance.

Although they're probably all loaded into one of those shipping containers to ship, they'd have to be loaded and unloaded at some point too. I'm guessing on the docks themselves.

Don't know if this helps.
    sigpic

Website
    Tweets
    Book

Comment

I'd say it depends on what port and what products.

The major shipping ports are designed to handle the huge containers, and can offload a ship and sort those containers in a couple of hours. No way would they handle a lose crate.

But if you're shipping something to a tiny port or some third world country then they are far more likely to handle boxes and wouldn't have the capability to deal with containers.

But you can get away with anything really. If your script has some eccentric billionaire doing something then you could have a huge container ship dock at a huge harbour and have all the workers stare as a tiny crate coming off and being dropped onto a small truck. The very novelty of it could be a plot point.

(Edited because I can't spell "Ship".)
      Last edited by zz9; 09-08-2009, 08:39 AM.

Comment

yeah i would add what port as well. A solitary wooden Crate being unloaded by crane in a frantically busy modern container port ~ unlikely

A solitary wooden crate being unshipped by a deck mounted derreck in Pago Pago ~ yeah i'll go with that.
        ________
        Dating Advice Dicussion
        Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 06:16 AM.
        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

It would depend on how big the ship is, what it's carrying, and where it's going.

Comment

Yes and no.

I am in international logistics.

Go to my profile and email me through hotmail if you have more extensive questions. I will try to help, off-line.

Originally posted by josephdluna View Post
            Does anyone really still offload wooden crates from ships like in the movies? A crate is lifted off the ship and lowered to the dock by a crane and ropes.

Or does everything (crated or otherwise) just arrive in those big metal shipping containers?

Thanks.
            a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Comment

Working...
            X