What is the best achievement a journalist or reporter can get?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best achievement a journalist or reporter can get?

if a journalist writes an article that leads to cops solving a national issue such as a terrorism plot, etc.....would this journalist/reporter achieve a major award or recognition as a result? would it be a Pulitzer Prize?

would this reporter get in trouble if they printed the information they had before actually reporting it to the authorities?

i am trying to create a backstory for my character and i want her to be known for assisting police/FBI solve a major case by way of an article she wrote.
    Last edited by Juno Styles; 09-21-2009, 03:57 PM.
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Re: What is the best achievement a journalist or reporter can get?

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
    if a journalist writes an article that leads to cops solving a national issue such as a terrorism plot, etc.....would this journalist/reporter achieve a major award or recognition as a result? would it be a Pulitzer Prize?

Not sure on the Pulitzer, but he could receive an award from the city, state or federal government.

would this reporter get in trouble if they printed the information they had before actually reporting it to the authorities?

If he knew it was vital to an on going criminal investigation and he printed a story anyway and it compromised the case or put lives in danger he could be in major trouble.

i am trying to create a backstory for my character and i want her to be known for assisting police/FBI solve a major case by way of an article she wrote.
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Comment

that makes sense, do you think the reporter could work out a deal that if his info panned out in their investigation that the authorities would give exclusive details for his article that they wouldnt give to any other reporter? or would the cops be moreso like "tell us what you know or we'll throw your as$ in jail"?
      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

The pulitzer prize is the biggest in journalism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulitzer_Prize#Categories

You should rent State of Play, it runs through the exact reporter knows info before cops scenario you talk about.

In short, you could in theory get in trouble for obstruction of justice, but if you're a reporter and you discover facts and write a story about those facts, you won't get in trouble for the mere publishing of the story (unless you used illegal means to acquire the information). Where you would get in trouble is if you try to conceal/withhold evidence from the police once they come ask you about the story you just wrote.
        "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

If he knew it was vital to an on going criminal investigation and he printed a story anyway and it compromised the case or put lives in danger he could be in major trouble.

this is a common character: a reporter who's always on the scene before the detectives arrive. and they have to make an "exclusive" deal with him to keep him/her from writing vital information about a crime too early and putting the investigation in jeopardy.

but for backstory, you don't need a pulitzer prize or key to the city award to tell us. it should be brought about by how people react to her when they see her coming. "here comes front page news"

Comment

I agree with Jkk808, a reporter is not obliged to give information to the police before it is reported, although their knowledge of the crime might become an issue. Journalists have been jailed for refusing to reveal the person who gave them information, not for publishing the story of the crime.

A Pulitzer would be about the highest distinction, but for your character, keep in mind that such a prize for a big crime story would make them a very well known person. So if your character is a rather low-key sort, you might want to reconsider how much notoriety you give them.

Pulitzer winners are big news each year. In the towns where they win, they become celebrities.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Comment

Working...
            X