Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jogging in Griffith Park

If anyone here has first-hand information on jogging paths in the park, please PM me. I have a few questions for you. Thanks in advance!

Re: Jogging in Griffith Park

Originally posted by Jake Schuster View Post
    If anyone here has first-hand information on jogging paths in the park, please PM me. I have a few questions for you. Thanks in advance!
    http://www.laparks.org/dos/parks/griffithpk/jogging.htm

I've hiked in the park a few times but didn't jog.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

I saw that link earlier. Told me exactly nothing. But thanks, anyway.

Comment

Is there a difference between the hiking paths and the jogging paths? I see people jogging all the time when I hike.
        "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

Is there a difference between the hiking paths and the jogging paths? I see people jogging all the time when I hike.
          maybe you're on the wrong path.

Comment

oh yeah... this might help:
            http://losangeles.citysearch.com/review/11362015

Comment

I really just need someone jogging on the same road cars use. The one time I was in Griffith Park was to take my daughter to a shoot for a Fox series, so I was in and out, and my only impression was that it was immensely rural. But then, again, they were shooting in a cave.

Google Maps shows that there are indeed roads passing through the park. One assumes runners use them, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Schuster View Post
                I really just need someone jogging on the same road cars use. The one time I was in Griffith Park was to take my daughter to a shoot for a Fox series, so I was in and out, and my only impression was that it was immensely rural. But then, again, they were shooting in a cave.

Google Maps shows that there are indeed roads passing through the park. One assumes runners use them, as well.
                I think where you were was the bat cave(used as the entrance of the bat cave in the Batman tv show).

That is really a separate part of the park. The park is huge and I have hiked from there to the Hollywood sign(which is also part of the park) several times. The main part of the park does have roads running through it and I don't recall if I saw joggers or not but like you would also assume so.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

Hey Jake -- I used to drive through Griffith Park every weekend for years. So I can tell you absolutely for sure, you will find people jogging along the same roads as cars.

If you look at a google map -- let's start along the north/west edge of the park where Forest Lawn curls into the park to become Zoo Dr. -- that is the main entry point from that side of the park. It moves along the 134 freeway, then turns south to run parallel with the 5 before dumping into the Zoo parking lot.

This stretch has clearly defined bike lanes, which people also jog in. However, this stretch also has a swath of dirt right next to the curb that people jog on as well -- thus placing the bike path between them and the cars.

Once you move through the Zoo parking lot, the road changes names to become Crystal Springs. Here, it continues on a southerly route as it passes through the golf course areas. Again - bike path and dirt path beside the road. Note the dirt path is wider in this area and you are also more likely to see horses using it at this point. Also note that Crystal Springs becomes bifurcated so that the north and south bound lands are separated by a fairly large median which also places the two sides at slightly different elevations. In this section, there are actually two lanes of traffic each way (4 lanes total) as opposed to only one lane in each direction at other spots.

Crystal Springs continues until you exit the park at Los Feliz.

There are other roads into the park and around the park -- but that is the stretch most likely to have both cars and joggers -- cuz it's mostly flat. compared to say the roads leading to the observatory, which are not very pedestrian friendly at all -- narrow and steep.

Hope that helps.

Comment

This is great, JJB. Many, many thanks for the informative post. I declare this thread locked.

Comment

Working...
                    X