Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Operation Petticoat, females on subs...

This sub post reminds me of the WWII comedy; Operation Petticoat, www.IMDb.com .

It was about a "co-ed" sub painted pink by the US Navy, .

I'm against the concept of female sailors & naval officers going on Boomer or Fast-Attack subs. If the Navy could train & staff all female crews I'd support it but I wouldn't see that ever being approved.
    It's not that I'm against women who serve in the US military, but as a veteran I saw many serious problems with women being stationed in certain units(armor, subs, FA/field artillery, etc). I toured a late 1940s/1950s era US Navy sub in Pittsburgh PA in 2000. The cramped quarters and narrow spaces were something I won't deal with and I highly doubt women in mixed crews officer or enlisted would be able to do smoothly.
    I saw some women in my military service who were professional and competent but I saw many others who were unstable, inept and involved in affairs/sexual misconduct/improper behavior.
    In my basic training, my female E-6 Drill SGT was so unstable and unprofessional she was removed by our commanding officer. She came apart in front of our training platoon crying her eyes out, telling us about her grandmother killing herself in front of her as a child. It was pathetic.
    While in my second unit in the early 1990s, a few of the guys told me my platoon leader was called "Combat Connie". When I asked why, they said in 1989's Just Cause combat operations in Panama, her unit came under heavy enemy fire. "Combat Connie" crawled under a Army HMMWV(Hummer) and started crying. The soldiers who witnessed it said she wouldn't move or help anyone. Sad but true.
    I could go on & on but in short, women in some combat positions may not work the way some desk jockey in the E-ring of the Pentagon wants it to.

Beefmissile
    I'd rather get bank credit, than screen credit.

Comment

Re: Women in Military, Navy Seals

I would hazard a guess that quite a few men crawled under their Hummers, too.

My feeling has always been that if a woman wants to go into special ops, then let her try/train the same as the other guys. I've known a couple of women in the military I would've trusted before some of the guys I've served with.

HH

Comment

To prepare the sailors that volunteered for the PBRs, we had a brief five week training session. cross training everyone to be able to take over any position on the boat. our junior enlisted ranged from sailors right out of boot camp to young men in their first enlistment.

one young man in his first year of the Navy stood out as a tad different, he stayed in the barracks reading comic books when we weren't in training, and never went to town with the rest of us.

our week in survival school was a two day exercise of escape and evading (no sense in that, the instructors monitored the "playing field - no place to hide) - we all ended up in simulated POW camp (prison), where we underwent rigorous mistreatments (including waterboarding) for three days. he made it thru (none of thought he would).

my luck, he was assigned to the same river division as I was. deciding someone should "watch over him" I took him on my boat. I our first engagement (firefight), I was manuevering the boat and my follow boat radiod he couldn't see my after gunner.

I looked back and he was on the deck in the fetal position cryig for his "mommy".

I broke the engagement and got clear of the scene.

I used the term "mentally wounded" to get permission to return to base. (this took two boats and ten men off patrol).

I talked the CO into putting him on permenent mess duty so he wouldn't be subject to the hazards of patrol.

so it does happen to both men and women in those conditions.

wouldn't you know, he was burning some trash and there was some live ammo in the garbage - it exploded, shreds of WOOD penetrated his hand and arm, he was medevaced, went home with the combat action ribbon and a purple heart (I can imagine the stories he told).

I hope he went on to have a successful Navy career
        Echo

Comment

In the 1989 Panama invasion - at that time the largest US military action since Vietnam - women soldiers gained a new visibility. Almost 800 participated, constituting about 4 percent of the total force. At least 150 were in combat areas, some coming under enemy fire and some returning fire. As the female captain of a US military police unit, Linda Bray, became a celebrity after leading her unit in capturing a military dog kennel - actually a concealed weapons storage location - in a half-hour firefight.

Comment

Just Cause actions, soldiers...

Butch's posts are very interesting.
            I heard of a US Army soldier while coming under enemy attack in Just Cause/Panama, had a case of MREs(meals ready to eat) knock him down.
            The soldier was put in for & got a Purple Heart(wounded in combat actions). That was a true story, .
            I heard media reports too of how the US Army took large amounts of troops over to the small island of Grenada during Urgent Fury(1983). The military forces were not really needed, they just wanted to get combat patches & service awards while it was still considered an offical "combat zone".
            When I was stationed at FT Lee Virginia, a guy in my unit was like Forrest Gump. He enlisted in the fall of 1990 with a 2 year enlistment. He got a signing bonus, MP training and went to a holding/processing center in Saudi Arabia(for only 1 week!!!) for Desert Storm. He earned all of the combat service awards and could by regulation wear his unit's combat patch on all his Army uniforms. He also qualified as a combat veteran and was entitled to a hiring preference, veterans benefits etc. He wasn't a bad guy but I wouldn't call him the "sharpest knife in the drawer" lol.
            Beefmissile
            PS: I was in Panama(Fort Clayton, Howard AFB, FT Amador) in the early 1990s. I served in the 92nd MP BN. I never heard of this CPT Bray woman.
            I'd rather get bank credit, than screen credit.

Comment

TANGENT ALERT!
              in operation petticoat the sailors needed to repaint the sub but they only had white paint and red paint but not enough on one color. they were too stupid to know that by mixing the two colors they would get pink. that's a sailor for ya'

also - the navy is the only branch that has a huge reputation for having gays. they boys are out to sea so long they must look to each other for comfort. if they don't allow women on those boats or subs then that reputation will continue

but they must keep in mind that it will soon be (if not already) against military law to become pregnant (daddy's too) while on active duty during war time.

ok - BACK ON TOPIC:
              TAYO - whatever you do with your woman in special ops - give her major heroic task/victory that only a woman (or at least gives her an advantage) could really pull off. be clever and it will be more believable.
              ie - there are places in the middle east where a woman must be completely covered - but she could hide a lot of stuff under those clothes.

Comment

"if they don't allow women on those boats or subs then that reputation will continue "

Nikee,

I don't see how 3,4,5 female Navy officers onboard a sub, or a destroyer -- with 250+ sailors could remove the "gay stigma" of the Navy - unless, of course, if their job was to comfort the horny sailors on long sea voyages.

I have to join the majority of Navy vets that think wimmin on subs is a velly bad idea.

If you take a good look at the mid ranking single female officers in any branch of the service, I think you will find a good % are lesbian .

recently a single female soldier with a newborn had her orders changed to stateside duty instead of sending her off to the war theater in the mideast.

fighting today's war is much different than my war. today one soldier in fifty can expect to be wounded during their tour. In VietNam, (on the PBRs) everyone could epect to be wounded at least once. I turned down two purple hearts for combat wounds - I didn't require medevac, so to me, I didn't deserve them. A colleague set off a booby trap, (we knew what it was) with his M16. we told him to back off, but he chose to be 50 ft away he got ONE little piece of shrapnel (couldda been worse) on his cheek. put himself in for a PH. John Kerry is a good example of fraudulent PHs. The Riverine Forces do not acknowledge him or his service. he disgraced us all.

Back to topic;

DIA (Defense Intelligence Agency) has women around the world that go undercover in their work. They don't wear the uniform, are trained in the local languages and, on occassion, sleep with the enemy to gain useful information.

Just thot I'd throw that out there....
                Echo

Comment

there was a time when blacks were always segregated. it will take a new generation of men to let it (the thought of women fighting side by side) go.

and so i hope the writer writes for the new generation and not you gay... ahem, i mean happy to be without women around) old farts... and not all career military women are gay. <<<groan>>>

BACK ON TOPIC: which is about a cool script, not your military experience btw

write for the future, not the past.

Comment

Working...
                  X