Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q *only* For Under 30 yrs old!

This is a question *only* for people under 30 years old.

What or who is "Checkpoint Charlie"?

Yes, I know the answer - and please do not look it up and answer. This is to find out if people under 30 hear that name and know it.

- Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Re: Q *only* For Under 30 yrs old!

Duh, DJ C.C. is only like the coolest DJ in New York! Where've you been old man? You ain't down with hip shiz bizatch!

Comment

I'm 24 and I know the answer, but I love history and I'm higher educated, so I don't know if I'm a good representative of the under 30 group.

The last movie that I saw that had something to do with Checkpoint Charlie, was the Good German (George Clooney).

Comment

I am afraid that the average script reader will never have heard of CC and I'll need to do more explaining than I want to.

I asked a table of actors at Starbucks tonight - and two guys my age (old) couldn't remember and two young people had no clue. So, even old people have forgotten what CC means.

I may be screwed.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I'm 28 and have no idea.
          There.
          "A legend in his own mind, enthroned by lies.
          A cheap Machiavelli plots his demise.
          "

-Randy Blythe

Comment

I thought this was just a sly move on Martell's part to find out which chicks on DD are under 30. Only reason I'm here.

Oh, and just call it Checkpoint Chickie, and really confuse 'em.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
              I am afraid that the average script reader will never have heard of CC and I'll need to do more explaining than I want to.

I asked a table of actors at Starbucks tonight - and two guys my age (old) couldn't remember and two young people had no clue. So, even old people have forgotten what CC means.

I may be screwed.

- Bill
              'fraid so Bill. I work "with" 20-somethings. I'd bet the farm that less than 1% of them would know about CC. The good news, the recent cohort (last five years or so) seems to be more thirsty for knowledge - nothing like a good ole recession to awaken the senses.

Comment

Unfortunately, the only CC I'm aware of, comes in a 750 ml bottle and a has a smokey flavor.

- Under 30 and under-educated

Comment

There was a Beetle Bailey comic book circa 1964 dedicated to the scene of Checkpoint Charlie.

My grandfather told me about it.
                  We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

I'm barely over 30 and highly educated and I'm still not entirely sure who Checkpoint Charlie is, although I've heard the term before. I guess it has something to do with Vietnam.

My mother the history teacher would be so ashamed.
                    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

I'm way above 30 and I love history. Damn, I'm watching a show on History International right now about the Maya. When I read your reference about CC, I also thought it was about Vietnam. So I looked it up and I too am ashamed that I was way off.

Now I know there is a big gap in my history knowledge. Thank your for bringing it to my attention.

Just explain it in the script and move on. One or two lines of exposition won't kill you (it may just cut your life a second short a so ).
                      Last edited by cmmora; 07-17-2010, 01:14 PM.
                      Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Bill... obviously context matters. But as cmmmora suggests. Perhaps you could spare a line or two...

If it's just description, it only takes a sentence to elucidate the masses. They can run to Wikipedia if they need more. But don't hide from your own knowledge. Use it as a strength. Make the reader feel like they're learning something cool.

If it's dialogue -- have fun with it by having character A point out how ignorant character B is for not knowing.

Funny... I hear Check Point Charlie and I immediately think of Anthony Edwards/ Linda Fiorentino... GOTCHA.

Such an awesomely 80s use of that locale.

Comment

Bill - thanks for making me feel really old.

Does anybody remember Ronald Reagan? He was this actor, see, and then...

never mind. Go "dial" a number on your push button phone or spin a 78 on the record player.

How about Pong? Anybody remember Pong?
                          We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

I can't imagine it being a problem -- if you show us the scene of Checkpoint Charlie, we'll immediately understand what's going on. I think enough people get the underlying context of the Cold War that the content and scene is immediately clear.

Comment

Whenever I hear Checkpoint Charlie, I think of the Elvis Costello song Oliver's Army.
                              "Only nothing is impossible."
                              - Grant Morrison

Comment

Working...
                              X