No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Q *only* For Under 30 yrs old!

Originally posted by JJBones View Post
    Funny... I hear Check Point Charlie and I immediately think of Anthony Edwards/ Linda Fiorentino... GOTCHA.
    Which is what I think of right after LeCarre and Deighton.

Compare GOTCHA to PINEAPPLE EXPRESS - what the hell happened to movies? GOTCHA has all kinds of funny stuff and is about a geeky kid's quest for sex, but has this action story that works and has twists that hit you hard while watching.

My problem is that I am not writing a Cold War spy script - it's a different war in a MATRIXy story where the checkpoint is between two states of mind and "your papers must be in order" or you're in big trouble. So CC was my *explanation* - and now I need to find a way to explain my explanation (which I can do - but it will end up one of those sections of the script I will never like and keep rewriting forever).

Thanks everyone.

- Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

You're overthinking it. Just show us the checkpoint and the guards and the searchlights and the passports and the stamping and the weapons and the watch towers. Mention Checkpoint Charlie, because plenty of people will understand what you're talking about, but checkpoints are universal enough that we'll get it even if we don't know the reference.

Comment

Not that I'm under 30 or any kind of *average* reader, but I know what Checkpoint Charlie is.

Then again, I took German for four years in high school.

Comment

Gotcha was a great little movie.

Bill, I'm not under 30 so I'm not eligible for the thread's question, but I was actually there and crossed over to the dark side in 1985 before Perestroika and Glasnost. It was like going from color TV to B&W with everything becoming a shade of grey on the east side.

R.O.T.

Comment

History, so boring and irrelevant...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checkpoint_Charlie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_...States_barrier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Demilitarized_Zone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_West_Bank_barrier

Comment

I am way over 30.

Of course, I know the answer. I have heard references to Checkpoint Charlie all my life. But I am not sure that even most people my age are going to know the answer. I don't know exactly how this comes up in your script, but it should be possible just to drop an informative reference of some kind in one sentence to set things up.

Bummer, I know. But remember that finding Brazil on a map can be really tough after a day of tweeting all my friends! My thumbs are so tired!

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I'm 24 and I honestly have no idea.

I'm going to google it right now though.

Comment

I just asked my 22 year old.

She had no idea.

Mac
                  New blogposts:
                  *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                  *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                  *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                  *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

The checkpoint in Berlin separating East and West with the Berlin Wall.

Thx 4 years of German in high school, Junior Year trip to Europe and THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD.

I'm 26.
                    @PatriotFrames

Comment

Well over 30 here. Worked with an eighteen year old a few years ago who had no idea they'd set off two nukes at the end of WWII. I know its not a crucial bit of life skills knowledge that would either get you laid or a job but even so... followed by
                      ________
                      Medical Marijuana
                      Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 07:12 AM.
                      I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                        ... I know its not a crucial bit of life skills knowledge that would either get you laid or a job but even so... followed by
                        Perhaps not Southern, but it's that pesky idiom, "The failure to learn from history, dooms us to repeat the mistakes of the past," that comes into play.

I came across this while doing some research for a script (highlights mine):

The Spanish American War began in 1898 as a direct result of an incident that occurred in Havana harbor. On February 15, 1898, an explosion occurred on the USS Maine that caused the deaths of over 250 American sailors. Even though later investigations have shown that the explosion was an accident in the boiler room of the ship, public furor arose and pushed the country to war because of what was believed at the time to be Spanish sabotage. Here are the essentials of the war that ensued.

1. Yellow Journalism

Yellow journalism is a term coined by the New York Times that refers to the sensationalism that had become common in the newspapers of William Randolph Hearst and Joseph Pulitzer. In terms of the Spanish-American War, the press had been sensationalizing the Cuban revolutionary war that had been occurring for some time. The press exaggerated what was happening and how the Spanish were treating the Cuban prisoners. The stories were based on truth but written with incendiary language causing emotional and often heated responses amongst readers. This would become very important as the United States moved towards war.
                        zSB(3,3)

2. Remember the Maine!
                        On February 15, 1898, an explosion occurred on the USS Maine in Havana Harbor. At that time, Cuba was ruled by Spain and Cuban rebels were engaged in a war for independence. Relations between America and Spain were strained. When 266 Americans were killed in the explosion, many Americans, especially in the press, started claiming that the event was a sign of sabotage on the part of Spain. "Remember the Maine!" was a popular cry. President William McKinley reacted by demanding that among other things Spain give Cuba its independence. When they did not comply, McKinley bent to popular pressure in light of the impending presidential election and went to Congress to ask for a declaration of war.
                        Sound familiar?
                        Last edited by bioprofessor; 08-20-2010, 03:55 AM.

Comment

old fart geek alert!!!

Comment

I would just use the term in your script. It gives it historical depth - you won't even have to explain what it means. The critics will like it, and maybe some audience members will look up the term afterwards - who knows.
                            Last edited by peasblossom; 08-21-2010, 12:54 AM.
                            sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                              old fart geek alert!!!
                              old fart flame alert!!!

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                                I guess it has something to do with Vietnam.
                                This made me laugh.

Comment

Working...
                                X