Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educational DVD's?

Can anyone recommend a good video(s) about screenwriting that is both educational and inspiring? After seeing Tales From The Script I wanted to slit my wrists for being so passionate about screenwriting! Okay, maybe it wasn't that bad but it's a bit difficult to glean anything positive from it.

Any suggestions?

thanks!
    Chip
    My first crack at a logline usually makes a great synopsis!

Re: Educational DVD's?

The WGA Foundation has videos. There's also those videos with interviews with writers (they have free podcasts too on iTunes). I forgot what they are called. JRS3 knows.

Whatever you do, get videos with actual, professional writers. Not gurus and people like that.
    Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
      The WGA Foundation has videos. There's also those videos with interviews with writers (they have free podcasts too on iTunes). I forgot what they are called. JRS3 knows.

Whatever you do, get videos with actual, professional writers. Not gurus and people like that.
      I think the YouTube videos you are talking about is from The Dialogue..?

Thanks, good suggestions!

Comment

Yes, that's it. The Dialogue.

Check out the WGA Foundation website. They are streaming their events now. Of course it's better to go in person, but if you're not in LA, that's a good deal and they take questions from internet attendees.

Thursday is genre series sci-fi/fantasy. Comedy is next Thursday. I've attended the past three and they have been great, especially last week.
        Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

TALES is great for telling you what you are getting in to - and all of those people did get in. There are some great stories there - a bunch of cool breaking in stuff from David Ward and Bruce Joel Rubin.

The thing is - once in, it's often not a pretty picture. Be prepared. (this kind of goes with that dashing dreams thread - the fantasy of being a screenwriter vs. the reality.)

There are interviews both on DVD and paper that focus on the creative aspects not the business aspects...

But the "and inspiring" element is going to be tough to find. It's like asking a plumber for inspiration about their job - it's work, and there are some days when you *don't* get covered with someone else's crap... but it's still work.

- Bill
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

You should watch Dreams on Spec. It's even more depressing because all of the subjects are aspiring writers.

Oh, you wanted inspiring. Never mind that then. LOL. Uh, yeah, you want DVDs of success stories. Hear how they overcame the odds. You could rent the Dialogue series on Netflix. I only have two DVDs from the WGF: David Milch and Matt Weiner. It's inspiring to know that they struggle with the same things that us baby writers do.

As for educational, Bill's CDs are pretty good. And I'm not just saying that because the moustache is here.
            Nobody's perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
              TALES is great for telling you what you are getting in to - and all of those people did get in. There are some great stories there - a bunch of cool breaking in stuff from David Ward and Bruce Joel Rubin.

The thing is - once in, it's often not a pretty picture. Be prepared. (this kind of goes with that dashing dreams thread - the fantasy of being a screenwriter vs. the reality.)

There are interviews both on DVD and paper that focus on the creative aspects not the business aspects...

But the "and inspiring" element is going to be tough to find. It's like asking a plumber for inspiration about their job - it's work, and there are some days when you *don't* get covered with someone else's crap... but it's still work.

- Bill
              But Bill - I have it all planned out. Nothing bad is ever going to happen - no one will ever rip me off - I'll never get fired from a writing job - I'll get nothing but high six digit paychecks - and i'll never ever get jilted out of a credit!

Okay, back to planet Earth. Yeah, you are right. There are some good success stories in there and listening to Goldman talk any 'ol way he wants is priceless! The DVD is a very good reality check for script scribes!

chip

Comment

Originally posted by JRS3 View Post
                You should watch Dreams on Spec. It's even more depressing because all of the subjects are aspiring writers.

Oh, you wanted inspiring. Never mind that then. LOL. Uh, yeah, you want DVDs of success stories. Hear how they overcame the odds. You could rent the Dialogue series on Netflix. I only have two DVDs from the WGF: David Milch and Matt Weiner. It's inspiring to know that they struggle with the same things that us baby writers do.

As for educational, Bill's CDs are pretty good. And I'm not just saying that because the moustache is here.
                Okay, once again I must expose just how green I am...where do I find Bill's the Moustache's CDs?

Comment

1) My CD classes are not inspirational at all - but they have information.
                  2) Click the link in my sig to my website.

PS: the sig link is the advert for my site - completely passive. But if you have never clicked it, I have a screenwriting article every weekday - I'm closing in on 400 of them now, and at 500 I'm finished. It's like a free screenwriting book... actually over a dozen screenwriting books right now (by word count). Free. No charge. I make nothing. It *costs me* to run the website.

- Bill
                  Free Script Tips:
                  http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

John Truby and Syd Field both have screenwriting dvds. I'd go with Truby though, he's is a little more for the seasoned writer.
                    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Does anyone have Hauge's comedy/romantic comedy dvds? Wondering if they're good.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                        John Truby and Syd Field both have screenwriting dvds. I'd go with Truby though, he's is a little more for the seasoned writer.
                        Can't beat 21 Jump Street.
                        Nobody's perfect.

Comment

Daniel Petrie Jr. and Scott Frank said of all the writing gurus you should listen to "the guy with the 22 blocks" because he's the only one with writing experience. A third of a season on 21 Jump Street.

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
                            Daniel Petrie Jr. and Scott Frank said of all the writing gurus you should listen to "the guy with the 22 blocks" because he's the only one with writing experience. A third of a season on 21 Jump Street.
                            Truby wrote the episode where Johnny Depp goes undercover as a cholo. Orale, vato!
                            Nobody's perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by JRS3 View Post
                              Truby wrote the episode where Johnny Depp goes undercover as a cholo. Orale, vato!
                              Really? I'm definitely getting all of his books, DVDs etc. then.

Comment

Working...
                              X