Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you get your first cell phone?

My current script is set in 1995. I'm trying to recall when it was that all of a sudden everybody had a cell phone. I'm pretty sure beepers were still the norm back then, with maybe just the privileged talking on cells.

The first text message was sent in Finland in 1993!

The article in Wikipedia has a bunch of info on the history of the mobile phone and the advances in technology, but not so much on the growth of widespread use.

So fess up people, when did you first go cellular?

Re: When did you get your first cell phone?

My memories of 1995 are very hazy. I lived in the Caribbean and I was drunk most of the time. But I got mine in 1999 and I resisted it. I think it was around 1998 when everyone started to get one.
    Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

I remember renting one for a film I was directing in early 1998. Didn't own one until 2000. I remember using a clunky one as a prop for a music video in 1994. So, yeah, I'd guess the popularization occurred somewhere between 95 & 99. I resisted in the 90's because they seemed to be ego driven, and not as practical as they are today.

Comment

I went cellular/mobile around '97 - '98.

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
          My memories of 1995 are very hazy. I lived in the Caribbean and I was drunk most of the time. .
          LOL. Some good times I'm sure!

Comment

It was 2001 and I just got a job as a newspaper reporter so I bought a cell phone for work. The phone lasted longer than the job.
            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

2006. And I let the service expire.

In general, I hate phones.

That goes double for cell phones.

(No, you should NOT be able to reach me wherever I am. No, I do NOT want to go on the 'net while I'm away from my computer. I mean, good god, there's a REASON I'm away from my computer. I spend most of the day on the goddamned thing. When I'm out, I don't even want to think about it. And what the hell was wrong with payphones? Bah!)

That said, I DID have a pager in the '90s.

Comment

I got mine around 2000. It wasn't until the first half of this decade that cell phones really started to become an everyday item for the middle class.

Heck, in 1995, that was about the time the middle class were all getting PCs and signing up to internet services.

Comment

I had one in 2008, but lost it on the Santa Monica beach after a heavy night of drinking. Now, I rock an Ipod Touch with Skype. It's like a ninja rigged Iphone.
                  If there are any questions, direct them to [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                    It was 2001 and I just got a job as a newspaper reporter so I bought a cell phone for work. The phone lasted longer than the job.
                    It was 2001 and I just got a job as coder for a web site building agency that wanted us all to have cool new "web enabled phones" so they bought them for us. The phone lasted longer than the job.

I was a late adopter, my frriends started gettig them in '98, '99. I remember them as a novelty in 1995. Some of my friends' parents had them - mostly people who traveled a lot for work. Having a cell phone made more sense than using phone booths or overpriced hotel phone lines if you traveled a lot, and your employer could always reach you.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
                      2006. And I let the service expire.

In general, I hate phones.

That goes double for cell phones.

I bet I hate phones more than you and everyone I know loves to talk on the effin' phone. I'm an email person. I like to write. After I got my phone, I didn't really know what to do with it since I never made calls in the first place. I do like texting though. I just got an HTC Evo 4G and I love it, but that's because of everything else it can do, so I can entertain myself while waiting. This thread makes me wish I had kept all the mobiles I've had over the years. Future relics.
                      Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

I've become a PM person. Perhaps even a bit of a junkie.

Comment

I refused to get a cell for years and it pissed off all my friends. I just had no desire to be that available all the time and I entertained such seething naked hatred for all the morons on public transportation yapping about their ridiculous stupid lives for all to hear that I was firmly intent on never joining ranks with them. Not to mention rude friends who always took calls while out with me, I really just despised the whole cell phone culture.

Then in 2008 I believe, my land line crashed and I had no way to call the phone company to tell them my line was dead, so I traipsed over to Radio Shack and bought a 40 dollar phone from Virgin. I almost took it back because I thought it was broken but then my neighbor told me I was pressing the wrong button to turn it on.

Meh, I don't use it much, but it is convenient here and there, I will admit. And definitely great for emergencies or while in transit.

I don't / can't text.

I now feel about Facebook the way I used to feel about cell phones.

Thanks for sharing folks

Comment

I was a pay phone technician in the '90's, and beepers were our lifeblood. Someone would get paged and use a pay phone to return the call.

Nextel's started showing up in force around '97, and we knew it was time to look for another line of work...And that was in Detroit, so we may have been a little behind...So '95 might be a little early for widespread use, but still viable. Just remember, for your script's purpose, that they weren't tiny little flip phones.

Midnite

Comment

Never had a cellphone in my life.

That said, I remember from my wilder partying days in 1994-1996 that it seemed like EVERYONE had a pager on their belt. Very few had cell phones and it seems like most of them were bag phones that they kept in the car. They were more of a status symbol then. In the early, early 90s you could buy a mock car phone for about 20 bucks, then have fake conversations at stoplights so everyone around would think you were a high-roller.

Nowadays I think the first cellphone comes about five minutes after the umbilical cord is cut.

I recall that back in about 1986, the Radio Shack catalog had a cell phone that required a full briefcase and was good for about 30 minutes per charge.

Comment

Working...
                              X