What are spikey things that hang down from caves called?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are spikey things that hang down from caves called?

It starts with S, and it's not spikes. It's a long word I think.
    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Re: What are spikey things that hang down from caves called?

Stalactites.

Love me.

Comment

Bats?

For what it's worth, the spiky things that stick up in caves are called stalagmites.
      "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
      ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Yeah, when I was a kid I was caving in a group and not attentive enough, I broke one with me helmet. The guide gave me a lecture about how they take thousands of years to form and now its broken. He was good about it, but I could tell he was pissed. But ten minutes later I bring my head up and smash another three of them. And I look up and he's just staring at me.

Comment

The smashed stalactites will now become even more interesting formations as they continue to grow. Granted, you'd have to come back in a few thousand years to see how interesting.

Seriously, I'm surprised they broke that easily. On the other hand, I've only been in a few caves, and I don't think I've ever touched a stalactite or stalagmite. But aren't they rock?
          "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
          ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenlocks View Post

The smashed stalactites will now become even more interesting formations as they continue to grow. Granted, you'd have to come back in a few thousand years to see how interesting.

Seriously, I'm surprised they broke that easily. On the other hand, I've only been in a few caves, and I don't think I've ever touched a stalactite or stalagmite. But aren't they rock?
            They're collections of minerals from water dripping from limestone cave ceilings. I think they're technically rocks but because of the way they're formed they're more brittle because they're not very dense. Stalagmites and stalactites are types of dripstones.

Only reason I know that sh!t is because here it The 'Noog (that's Chattanooga for all you folks not from The 'Noog) we have this stupid tourist attraction called "Ruby Falls" which is a stupid cave in the side of Lookout Mountain with a waterfall at the end that pretty much wouldn't be in business today if it weren't for old tourists and elementary school field trips (yep...only time I've ever been there is in elementary school). Ruby Falls is full of the 'tites and 'mites and we got to learn allll about them. It's also a total waste of money so if you're ever here doing the tourist thing, don't go.

Ugh.
            "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

Don't forget the rule-

Salactites hold TITE to the ceiling.

Stalagmites MITE, if they weren't stuck to the floor.
              - - - - - - -
              Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                Yeah, when I was a kid I was caving in a group and not attentive enough, I broke one with me helmet. The guide gave me a lecture about how they take thousands of years to form and now its broken. He was good about it, but I could tell he was pissed. But ten minutes later I bring my head up and smash another three of them. And I look up and he's just staring at me.
                Oh, that's quality stuff right there. Thanks for the laff.

Comment

Originally posted by ExtHollywoodDay View Post
                  Don't forget the rule-

Salactites hold TITE to the ceiling.

Stalagmites MITE, if they weren't stuck to the floor.
                  Boy are you clever.

Comment

i learned that memory device in school, too. I remembered the "tite" part. I don't remember the "mite" part, though.

Comment

I am clever. But credit for the line goes to some elementary school textbook writer.
                      - - - - - - -
                      Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

I think I'm just going to call them spikes on the chance the reader won't know what the hell the other things are.

Comment

Two readers replied in this thread.

Both knew what they were.

Just write "stalactite."

(Hey, that rhymes! It could even be a chant!)

Comment

Okay then. But only because I respect your opinion so much.

Comment

You're going to listen to a guy who spent ten minutes the other day looking for his hat before he realized he was wearing it?

(True story.)

Bad move.

Comment

Working...
                              X