Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programming question

Hi - so in writing code - is there a thing that functions as a key or legend does to a map?

If it exists is there a name for it?

For example, I would imagine that in creating the OS for a new tablet device, different teams would work on different parts of the program and at various points, particular techniques are used to achieve certain ends and choices are made in solving certain problems. So, in this scenario (which I am pulling out of my ass) is there a chart or key that details this kind of information so that everybody is working in synch?

Am I making the least bit of sense?

Thanks

Re: programming question

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post
    Hi - so in writing code - is there a thing that functions as a key or legend does to a map?

If it exists is there a name for it?

For example, I would imagine that in creating the OS for a new tablet device, different teams would work on different parts of the program and at various points, particular techniques are used to achieve certain ends and choices are made in solving certain problems. So, in this scenario (which I am pulling out of my ass) is there a chart or key that details this kind of information so that everybody is working in synch?

Am I making the least bit of sense?

Thanks
    We have the concept of key-value pairing. e.g. in a hash we would have the key and the value:

PRODUCT_KEY_VALUES = {
    "software_key_5142" => "9e39704-09098043-9",
    "software_key_2222" => "9e38704-098-9",
    }

Is this what you mean?

Yes, different teams work on specific modules bases off of coding standards, which are pariticular models and methods for implmenting software.

Eventually, there would be an integration between each team's module and then full fledge test of the overall system.

That's a bit simplified, but...I hope it helps.
    The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Re: programming question

Oops, I think I misread your question.

Actually, I think you are talking about abstraction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstrac...mputer_science)

This is what makes languages like Java, i.e. object oriented, ideal since you can plug and play each module without having an effect on anyone else's code.

Comment

Re: Programming question

Sounds like project management.

Would the project manager flow chart everything? Or make a list of tasks with headers and sub headers?
        If you really like it you can have the rights
        It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

that helps, thanks!

here's a follow up.

So, would a "control abstraction" be something written by a programmer that allows different modules to interface? Without which the whole will not function?

and would this tangibly exist as lines of code itself?

Comment

Originally posted by odocoileus View Post
            Sounds like project management.

Would the project manager flow chart everything? Or make a list of tasks with headers and sub headers?

If there were a technical version of a flow chart specific to programming, that contained details on, for lack of a better term, a numeric level, that would work.

Essentially, I need something that allows another person to pick up where somebody else left off, without which they have to start over.

Comment

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post
              that helps, thanks!

here's a follow up.

So, would a "control abstraction" be something written by a programmer that allows different modules to interface? Without which the whole will not function?

and would this tangibly exist as lines of code itself?
              Yes, it's possible to have a mediator class that calls all the functions and libraries (doesn't even have to be the same code language that it calls)without knowing any of the specifics of what it does. This would be handled using an API.

API is very important programming concept, which should help:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applica...ming_interface

If it's an important piece of the program, then the scenario you listed makes sense.

As far as project management for writing code, it's all Agile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development) these days. That's the trend, or buzz word for software development.

Comment

wow! thanks so much.

I think I have enough to make up something that everyone in the flyovers will understand and think is cool.

apologies in advance though for offending the folks like yourselves who know what they're talking about.

remember, it's just a tv show =)

Comment

Working...
                X