Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Franscico

Any DD Denizens living in the San Francisco? Wondering if you can help me with a couple of things?

1. the Golden gate recreational area. Is this area forested or covered in brush or exposed?

2. What would average driving time (or a fast driving time) be between there and the farmers market/ferry plaza?

thanks in advance for any help
    ________
    Swiss cooking
    Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 07:13 AM.
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Re: San Franscico

Depends on what you mean by the Golden Gate recreation area. There's Golden Gate Park, which is pretty big and has lots of nooks and crannies and could be grassy or could be hilly, forested or exposed, depending on where you go. There's the Marina Green, which is literally on the water and there're tons of sailboats and such docked there and it's a big grassy area with a fantastic view of the Golden Gate bridge. There's also the Presidio, which is a decommissioned military base, lots of grassy areas, trees, lots of old barracks and buildings, some now with businesses in them. Try google image search as well as google maps with streetview.

Driving time? 15 minutes, maybe 20. Not long.

Comment

Assuming you're referring to Golden Gate park....

It's a large park (over 1000 acres) and the terrain varies widely. Forested, bare, eucalyptus stands, hilly and flat. Certainly areas to get lost in, but also tons of areas that are almost always busy with people - hikers, bikers, runners, homeless, tourists, etc.

There are lakes, stadiums (Kezar and the Polo grounds), Ocean Beach, Museums (De Young, Academy of Sciences, Tea Garden, etc) and much more.

Distance to the Ferry building (the Farmers market is only held on a couple of days a week) is seven miles, but travel time is dependent on traffic. Usually 15 minutes, but it can be much longer (especially on the section of the Embarcadaro that the Ferry building is on - that's tourist central).
      If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
      Dave Barry

Comment

Excellent, thank you folks

Both answers exactly as I had guessimated and hoped
        ________
        MICHIGAN MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES
        Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 07:13 AM.
        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcgary View Post
          There's the Marina Green, which is literally on the water and there're tons of sailboats and such docked there and it's a big grassy area with a fantastic view of the Golden Gate bridge.
          My grandma lived on the corner of Franklin and Lombard for over forty years. I have very fond memories of walking around the Marina Green with her.

Comment

I lived four blocks away from the top of the Presidio. I used to go running in those woods alone. Jesus, I was stupid. It's what horror movies are made of.
            Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
              I lived four blocks away from the top of the Presidio. I used to go running in those woods alone. Jesus, I was stupid. It's what horror movies are made of.
              I used to jog everywhere, alone, as well. I remember running up the fire trail to Strawberry Canyon (in Berkeley), alone, at dusk, when there had been reported rapes there, and the perp hadn't been caught yet. But, I was addicted (to running).
              sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Okay as far as a wooded hill north of the bridge what do we have? Ideally I'm looking for a single hill or peak with the sides covered in brush at least, preferrably something a little denser.

Am I on the right track?
                ________
                Hot Box Vaporizer
                Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 07:14 AM.
                I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

North of the Golden Gate Bridge are the Marin Headlands, also part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area (I'm pretty sure). There's quite a bit of brush up there and some bluffs, don't know about any hills that particularly stand out. It's also covered in old WWI and WWII bunkers, gun emplacements, and radar stations, plus a Nike missile launch site you can still tour.
                  Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Costs a friggin FORTUNE to shoot and release anything legit if the Golden Gate Bridge is in the frame, so keep that in mind if filming in the Marin Headlands. You could shoot in the wild hills of Wine Country, pretty mellow and always sunny.

Or head out to Bolinas or Stinson Beach area off Highway 1, north of the GG Bridge. Out there you could definitely find what you want and nobody's gonna bother you. Plus that's the most desolate stretch of beach you'll find, if you want to shoot the pristine Pacific Ocean and it's amazing coastline.

Have fun!

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

The Golden Gate National Recreation Area includes Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, along with a couple of beaches, and a large section of the headlands north of the Golden Gate Bridge, including Mount Tamalpais and Stinson Beach. I suggest using Google Maps with a search on "Golden Gate National Recreation Area" to get a good feel of the topography.

As has been suggested, you can pretty much choose the setting you want. There is even a windmill in the park.
                      Last edited by billmarq; 08-29-2010, 08:05 PM.
                      We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaHans View Post
                        Costs a friggin FORTUNE to shoot and release anything legit if the Golden Gate Bridge is in the frame, so keep that in mind if filming in the Marin Headlands. !

"Is in the frame?" Copyright issue or practicalities?
                        ________
                        RHODE ISLAND DISPENSARIES
                        Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 07:14 AM.
                        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

There's a 20-year-old movie called the Presidio that might have some stuff of visual interest. There was a one-hour show on one of (Discovery, History or Science channel) about hidden bunkers and tunnels still off limits on the SF side around the Presidio...some areas are still very overgrown with dense brush.

Also, Basic Instinct has a great car-chase sequence on Hwy 1 through the Marin headlands on the north shore. It's not really a chase, but more of an aggressive driving situation.

R.O.T.

Comment

I wouldn't obsess about this to much. Just write it the way you see it. The area is so large and so varied you'll be fine.
                            If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
                            Dave Barry

Comment

It's kind of like a copyright issue. My friend is a 2nd AD here and he does some site scouting etc. for movies. The city of SF kind of uses the GG Bridge as a way to extort money from filmmakers. You have to pay the film commission or something like that a huge amount to include the GG Bridge in your film if you ever want to distribute it or release it to a wide audience. So he just lisenced stock footage.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Working...
                              X