Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impersonating a POLICE OFFICER

how much time can you get if you get caught impersonating a police officer and is it a felony or a misdemeanor?

i've seen some conflicting answers during my search through google.

is it plausible if my character is impersonating an undercover officer, gets approached by a real cop that spots this, gets arrested and charged as a misdemeanor?

i'm just trying to create a situation where my character gets busted but not too much REAL trouble because this is part of the intro of my story and he needs to get bailed out asap.
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Re: Impersonating a POLICE OFFICER

Have the cop who busts him be a relative just giving him a scare so he won't do it again.

I just saw a Closer ep from last season about a cop impersonator, but it didn't go into the penalty he was going to get.
    "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
    ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

The reason why you may be getting different answers is either you are looking online where 95% of everything is BS or that different states have different laws.

I'd look it up in the criminal code.

But my guess is - felony no matter where you are. And also - taken very seriously.

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

formal charges, scenes..

To be caught "playing cop" could vary by state or location. Due to the related crimes(rape, assault, home invasion, etc) that normally occur with posing as a fake police officer or agent.
        I'd check the city's DA office or maybe the state's AG(Atty General) office for details. You can write a scene where minor glitches could require the DA or State's Atty's office to drop the criminal charges or reduce it to a misdemeanor.
        I'd rather get bank credit, than screen credit.

Comment

good suggestions.

BeefMissile arent you a cop? what are a couple of questions you would ask this fake cop character that would be a dead give away to let you know he's a fake (outside the basics like what precinct you work at, etc)?
          One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

the best way for him to get off easy is to have it be a non-threatening (maybe even humorous) situation. ie - he's an actor in a cop uniform and gets carried away with being in character. other than that i think it would be a huge felonious mistake b/c cops don't like it when their credibility is ruined by some con artist. don't like it at all and they will teach you a lesson.

also - the actor bit could also be a ploy so that he would get off easy.

Comment

Regardless of whether it's a felony or misdemeanor, he'd most likely be able to post bail pretty quickly as long as there's no violence involved. Most jails are so overcrowded they let just about anyone post bail pending trial; they can't even keep convicted criminals locked up for their full sentences.

This assumes there aren't exacerbating circumstances, like an existing criminal record, stalking, etc.
              Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Make him so drunk that no one can take it seriously... in fact have him choose his police costume while drunk to make it even less effective or leaving a halloween party drunk and trying really dumb "Police chat-up lines" when he's caught.

IMPERSONATOR
                (Slurring drunkenly)
                Ah know what you're thinking; is that a riot baton in my pocket or am I just pleased to see you. Actually it is a baton... ummmm no I mean... I always wanted to be a pig but Dad said hell no son, you'll finish highschool...

that sort of ballocks...
                ________
                1958 DODGE HISTORY
                Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 07:16 AM.
                I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

10 codes, weapons, slang, acronyms...

Since different things like laws, training standards, 10-codes(radio phrases/use), weapons, etc can vary greatly it could be hard to "trip up" a fake cop. Some of the common ways real LE officers can ID a fake cop quickly is to run checks on a motor vehicles tag or VIN numbers.
                  To have a police officer or detective ask the "fake" where he went to the Academy or training center then ask specific things like building locations, weapons ranges, training cadre, etc could work. Asking if they know how the NCIC works or VICAP or a FATS system. Most US law enforcement officers know what they mean. A real officer could also ask them how long they've worked the road. "The road" means sworn or police duty. When a sworn trooper or LE officer says; "I've worked the road for 15 years." they are saying they've been a sworn LE officer for 15 straight years.
                  Other phrases like "stick time", "trigger time", "cut the pie", "vertical coffins", "cruiser ready"(to keep duty weapons loaded, but with empty chambers), and "shops"(assigned patrol vehicles).
                  Some US law enforcement agencies & MPs(military police) use the term; "wild mustang" or "mustang" to mean a undercover officer or agent that has limited contact with supervisors or is really deep(fake IDs, fake credit cards, fabricated background records). Some intel/MI agents call this kind of stuff; "pocket lint".
                  I'd rather get bank credit, than screen credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
                    good suggestions.

BeefMissile arent you a cop? what are a couple of questions you would ask this fake cop character that would be a dead give away to let you know he's a fake (outside the basics like what precinct you work at, etc)?
                    Ask him if he wants a donut. If he says no....

(No offense to any LEO's. I write comedy and dramedy and that's what popped into my head. Have him pass all the "difficult" questions and then when he turns down a donut have the real officer draw his weapon! He's clearly an imposter!)

Comment

unless he had privvy to the briefing room, he wouldn't know what today's color is

Comment

Working...
                      X