X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnmonster
    replied
    Re: Agro?....

"Agro" or "aggro" refers to massive multi-player online games. When a monster, or "mob", focuses its attention on a specific player, that player is said to have "aggro" and the monster will attack that player and generally ignore others until something makes it shift aggro to another target. Gaining, holding, and avoiding aggro are skills within such games and I'm not surprised the term is entering the common lexicon.

Sometimes you'll have people say things like 'Gotta go, girlfriend aggro." or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• nic.h
    replied

Originally posted by CrackDown View Post
    Here in the UK it's used if you're getting 'aggravation'.
    Yeah - that's actually what it really means, and how it started. Now it also seems to incorporate the behaviour too. As in, aggressive.

We probably stole it from you guys anyway. Like a good chunk of our colloquialisms.

Leave a comment:

• Southern_land
    replied

"Someone's getting a bit Agro"

Someone's a bit violent (frequently drunk, crazy, stupid and/or verbally aggresive) in the New Zealand idiom.

Been around since the early 80s here at least.

...or

someones getting a bit of agro (frequently) from the cops which translates to minding their own stupid (or drunk) business until they do something dumb enough to attract the attention of the cops, getting lippy (verbally abusive) to them and getting arrested and/or their car taken
    ________
    Weed
    Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 07:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CrackDown
    replied

Here in the UK it's used if you're getting 'aggravation'.

Leave a comment:

• NikeeGoddess
    replied

oops!

Leave a comment:

• nic.h
    replied

Actually, it's "aggro" and it's short for aggressive. If you're aggro, you're pissed off. Or if you "chuck an aggro" you're cracking the shits. (Or spitting the dummy, in Australian slang.)

No idea if it's surfer talk but it's been around in Australia since I was a kid.

Leave a comment:

• BeefMissile
    started a topic Agro?....

Agro?....

I may not be very hip but I've heard the slang term; "agro" on a Cartoon Network series and in a recent Richard Marcinko novel; www.DickMarcinko.com . I no I'm not a teen anymore but I have no clue what the term; agro means.

Is it a west coast phrase or "surfer" talk?

Thanks;
    BeefMissile
Working...
X