Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severed head

Would a severed human head float in a fish tank? Or sink? Start out floating and sink after some time?

I promise I won't ask how you know if you can help me. Thanks.

Re: severed head

http://www.all-about-forensic-scienc...uman-head.html

Don't ask me how I know about this site and I won't ask you why you want to know.
    TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Oh, my god thank you!!! I really, really, really didn't want to google it.

Comment

In the film SILENT PARTNER the head sinks in the fish tank. I think it's John Candy's head.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
          In the film SILENT PARTNER the head sinks in the fish tank. I think it's John Candy's head.

- Bill
          That was a great movie 'moment.' And Christopher Plummer has never been better.

Comment

Mine is unfortunately a real-world example---related to the interrogation of Ata Moravec by the Gestapo following the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich in Prague. It is reported he was shown his mother's severed head in a fish tank, but does not specify if it was floating or not.

Someone reviewing my screenplay thought the head would float. I'm thankful for this other film reference.

Comment

Well if he had rocks for brains, then...

Yes, I'll be here all week. Catskill next week.

HH

Comment

I'd say it'd sink, after bubbles come out of the sinus cavity -- maybe the ears too. But I'd have just made it fit my story to do whatever I wanted, letting forensic accuracy fall by the wayside.

And, yes, Silent Partner was wonderful, with Plummer a totally gruesome villain. The head was of the extremely lovely Celine Lomez, and it was cut off in a particularly chilling scene ... arghhh... I still remember the reaction in the theater as it was happening!

Comment

need more information --
                  salt water or fresh water tank?
                  knucklehead or airhead?
                  goldfish or piranhas?

Comment

It would sink. I doubt it would become buoyant after decomposition.

Decomposition leads to buoyancy when enough gas builds up to swell the body, which then displaces significantly more water. The displaced water leads to buoyancy. A head would release gas through the various holes in the skull. It would not achieve buoyancy.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by organicbananagirl View Post
                      Mine is unfortunately a real-world example---related to the interrogation of Ata Moravec by the Gestapo following the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich in Prague. It is reported he was shown his mother's severed head in a fish tank, but does not specify if it was floating or not.

Someone reviewing my screenplay thought the head would float. I'm thankful for this other film reference.
                      IMHO it doesn't matter and whoever was reviewing your screenplay missed the point - it's a screenplay - a blueprint for a movie - a visual medium ...

... and having a head 'bobbing' about on the surface of the water is just a visual gag ...

... compared to his mother's severed head blankly staring out at him through the glass at the bottom of the tank - which is absolutely horrific.

But if you want to theorize about the 'real-life' event, look at it this way - why would the Gestapo show this guy his mother's head if it was only floating on top of the water? What would be the point of keeping it in the tank? They'd just have it in a bag and pull it out.

My guess is the head was at the bottom of the tank - it's far more psychologically disturbing and far more reason for the Gestapo to do it.

So I guess, for me, it comes down to: How do you think the Gestapo presented this poor guy with his mother's head?

Mat.
                      I'm a product of everything I've ever experienced ... I need to get out more!

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Mat View Post
                        IMHO it doesn't matter and whoever was reviewing your screenplay missed the point - it's a screenplay - a blueprint for a movie - a visual medium ...

... and having a head 'bobbing' about on the surface of the water is just a visual gag ...

... compared to his mother's severed head blankly staring out at him through the glass at the bottom of the tank - which is absolutely horrific.

But if you want to theorize about the 'real-life' event, look at it this way - why would the Gestapo show this guy his mother's head if it was only floating on top of the water? What would be the point of keeping it in the tank? They'd just have it in a bag and pull it out.

My guess is the head was at the bottom of the tank - it's far more psychologically disturbing and far more reason for the Gestapo to do it.

So I guess, for me, it comes down to: How do you think the Gestapo presented this poor guy with his mother's head?

Mat.
                        I completely agree and don't think the reviewer "got" the scene or the picture. The reason I put the scene in there in the first place was to show the Nazis were not just a bunch of Colonel Klinks. Especially since Ata was only 16 or 17 when it happened.

Comment

Re: Severed head

How recently was it cut off? It might still be blinking...

- Bill
                          Free Script Tips:
                          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Re: Severed head

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                            How recently was it cut off? It might still be blinking...

- Bill
                            But would blinking provide enough propulsion for the head to get to dry land?

I think we need an additional dead head thread.

Comment

Working...
                            X