Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abduction question

Is it true the F.B.I. is called in on every kidnapping case?

There is a child abduction in one of my scripts and I'm
    assuming that the feds would not only be involved in
    the case but probably take it over... leaving local
    police mainly out of the investigation.

Is that correct?
    The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense - Tom Clancy

Re: Abduction question

seriously, do you want to get this information from writers?
    do some research. a simple google will get you this: http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cid/cac/kidnap.htm

Comment

Why don't you use this as a rule, as it is the perception and most likely the reality, although there may be some discretion to help in certain state cases, as I understand it - the FBI generally gets involved when the kidnapping crosses state lines.
      Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

Nikee provides the exact link! How much time did that take her to find?

From that first page: "the child does NOT have to cross state lines or be missing for 24 hours".

Kidnap is a *Federal crime*, so the FBI is automatically involved.

It's easy to Google this stuff... and if you need more info, there are humans you can talk to. This is not aimed at logliner, it's a general comment - try finding the info yourself before asking someone else. It's good to learn to be self sufficient. Hey, sometimes you *do* want to ask other people, because there's opinion involved (not just fact). That's cool. But one of the things I've learned about research is - the more you know before you ask real live people, the better your questions. When the Navy gave me a submarine tour and let me quiz the crew for a couple of hours, there was another film on the same tour. While they were asking question that could be answered by reading a book, I was asking personal "human" questions about how you live with the same people in the same small space for months, and share a bed with another sailor (not a Gay thing - one guy sleeps while the other guy works). I already knew the fact stuff, I wanted the people stuff. The other film? Asked stupid questions and the Navy pulled the plug on their project.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
          Nikee provides the exact link! How much time did that take her to find?
          months. possibly years.
          If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

Thanks all for the comments.

Point taken and lesson learned.

BTW, that was the perfect link... thanks Nikee
            The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense - Tom Clancy

Comment

oops... color me wrong on this one... although as a practical matter, at least where I am, they don't get involved unless it crosses state lines... but that doesn't make me any less wrong.

Picture a cactus falling on its sword!
              Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

Yon should the difference between abduction and kidnapping so as to use the correct terms. They are not interchangeable. A kidnapping is for ransom, usually money; an abduction is not; it is for sex usually. The majority of kidnapped children will be murdered, kids like Adam Walsh. Only four percent of abducted children will be murdered.

About 200 children a year in the states are abducted by strangers who intend to keep them permanently, kids such as Elizabeth Smart, Shawn Hornbeck, and Jaycee Lee Dugard, an average of four children per state.

The FBI gets involved immediately, and so does the national Amber Alert.

Comment

Working...
                X