No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Cool" modern apartments?

Hi,

I have a scene where we enter the hero's apartment, and it's quite modern, maybe going so far as even some hi-tech in there. I am wondering if anyone knows any good movies that might have something like this, as I'm curious how much is described on the page versus how much is left to production.

I liked the apartment in the game plan a bit, but can't find the script. Still trying to think of movies that feature some pretty great modern apartments.

Thanks

Re: "Cool" modern apartments?

The series "Eureka." Not the pilot episode, but in one or two into it - they have the most high tech house/apt. I have seen.

Comment

I think a simple description along the lines of, "a trendy, modern apartment with all the latest appliances and gadgets" (or something along those lines) would suffice. When you're dealing with intangible concepts like "cool," the more you describe, the less imagination the reader uses... and the greater the chances of them judging your opinion of what's cool, rather than visualizing it for themselves.

If you say that it's a "cool, modern apartment," you give everyone (the reader, the director, the production designer, etc.) the opportunity to envision that in their own way, which will ensure that they do - in fact - imagine it to be cool and modern.

Comment

I second the idea of keeping it simple and letting the director and crew put it together. You might add just a line or something like... 'the voice-activated music/lights/curtains' or whatever as a quick demonstration of your concept.

Comment

Oh I see! Excellent, thanks everyone for the information. It makes total sense. And I'll check out Eureka as well!

Thank you!

Comment

they had some cool high tech stuff in mr. and mrs. smith especially in the kitchen.

i have a "future" script where a house has gone green. they have a glass roof and fruit trees growing inside the house. solar power panels everywhere and houses built underground with grass roofs.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
              they had some cool high tech stuff in mr. and mrs. smith especially in the kitchen.

i have a "future" script where a house has gone green. they have a glass roof and fruit trees growing inside the house. solar power panels everywhere and houses built underground with grass roofs.
              I want to live there!
              "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Awesome, I forgot about that. Definitely some neat tech moments in that movie. I'll look for the script, thank you.

I watched the episode of Eureka, and that definitely fits what I'm looking for. Couldn't find any scripts, but the scene is good reference, thanks again!

Comment

Good luck, Dax!

Comment

The 'Highlander' script has a very detailed description of our hero's apartment - which was apparently the height of cool back when it was filmed.

Check it out for inspiration - but I'd keep it is simple as possible.

Good luck !

Mac
                    New blogposts:
                    *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                    *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                    *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                    *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Ooyu_wFlk
                      Kentucky bluegrass included.
                      si