No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChipC
    replied
    Re: Assassinating important politicians?

What if one of the agents was actually part of the assassination plot?

Leave a comment:

• Steven Jenkins
    replied

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
    Thanks for that link Manchester - very useful

Leave a comment:

• NikeeGoddess
    replied

Originally posted by Steven Jenkins View Post
    I think the secret service catches the public imagination more by swearing to throw themselves bodily in the path of oncoming bullets meant for their boss. I guess most any law enforcement officer would do the same, but it's not widely publicised as being written into their contract.
    i'm pretty sure police officers take a verbal oath when sworn in... to serve and protect crap. when you work for the federal gov't it's to serve and protect against foreign and domestic... then you sign an oath which i would say IS a contract.

Leave a comment:

• Manchester
    replied

FYI to OP - TSA: Some Gov't Officials to Skip Airport Security - ABC News

Leave a comment:

• Steven Jenkins
    replied

I think the secret service catches the public imagination more by swearing to throw themselves bodily in the path of oncoming bullets meant for their boss. I guess most any law enforcement officer would do the same, but it's not widely publicised as being written into their contract. That kind of thing's got solid emotional appeal. Probably as much appeal as a 1960's Apollo jockey.

Leave a comment:

• Manchester
    replied

If/when a Senator needs security, it's provided by/under control of the office of the Senate Sergeant at Arms (with the exception others have noted about presidential candidates). (When Hillary Clinton was a senator, I don't recall the arrangement, since as spouse of an ex-president she's entitled to Secret Service protection.)

Of course, many, many movies and TV shows screw up such details about the jurisdiction and responsibilities of federal law enforcement agencies. The excuse, I suppose, is that if you have a character mention "Senate Sergeant at Arms", someone's gonna tell you you need to explain that.. which takes screen time... WTF, let's make it Secret Service.

Also, I agree with haroldhecuba's comment about senators and congressmen using commercial aircraft.

Leave a comment:

• Richmond Weems
    replied

Most of your senators and congressmen use commercial aircraft. Make your guy a millionaire, and he'd still use commercial aircraft just 'cause of public perception. Senator John Edwards always used commercial when he was traveling.

Most travel by themselves, or with an aide or two.

I saw Gephardt get off a plane through a crowded gate, and I saw that only me and one other guy even recognized him. Gephardt was traveling with two guys.

HH

Leave a comment:

• Steven Jenkins
    replied

Cool There seems to be enough doubt about its infeasibility that I could leave it as it stands. I'm not going to be around the people who'll be in the fallout zone - I'm moving in the distant background along with the little people.

Woohoo

Thanks for all the help and encouragement everyone

Leave a comment:

• bioprofessor
    replied
    Re: assassinating important politicians?

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
    this could be a good solution if it were 15 yrs ago. but dc air space now is monitored too closely. this just yesterday: http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/22/dc....ted/index.html is an incident that happens at least once a year. secret service/fighter jets would be on that little podunk strip in seconds.
    True that, but if they were diverted to a rural Maryland cornfield, radar sabotaged by a assassin/hijacker... It would be a race against the clock, pretty damn suspenseful as the assassins, SS and airforce all rushed to the scene.

I like the mob flash idea too, think that could work also.

Leave a comment:

• jonpiper
    replied

For some reason the Senator must rush home from Washington. His secretary books him on the next commercial flight which is quicker to arrange than any private charter.

Of course the assassin knows which flight. The assassin is tracking the Senator or the assassin set up the reason for the Senator's having to rush out of town.

Leave a comment:

• Steven Jenkins
    replied

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
    hey! i think that was rigged. too many people knew the routine. LOL!
    that is creative but it might only work at disney world

and i agree emily's solution would work. see my comment about mccain.

i have another suggestion. when VP joe biden was a humble senator from delaware he was one of the few senators who did not have a home in DC. he took the train from DC to delaware every single day. he left from union station which is 2 blocks from the senate buildings.

see what goes on there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOSBpsQp1FI
    and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da6HL3j2AHg&feature=fvw
    you could do something similar... some kind of demonstration that was theme related to your story.
    mmmmmmmmm disney world

There has to be a way around this... and you've opened s few more doors there. Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• NikeeGoddess
    replied

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
    Does it have to be Dulles? If not, you could have it so his jet has mechanical problems (accident or sabotage?) and has to land at some podunk strip with little or no security/amenities whatsoever. As for his assailants, let's say they get word of the diversion somehow (maybe there's a plant on the politician's plane) and now have to scramble to get to the airfield. Now you've upped the suspense with the assailants racing to get to the new location before its too late.

Probably way out in left field, but throw'n it out there.
    this could be a good solution if it were 15 yrs ago. but dc air space now is monitored too closely. this just yesterday: http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/22/dc....ted/index.html is an incident that happens at least once a year. secret service/fighter jets would be on that little podunk strip in seconds.

Leave a comment:

• Steven Jenkins
    replied

Thanks bio

That sounds a great idea for a meatier scene that I'm after. Which makes me think if I want to keep it short and simple I'll have to ditch the secret-service, and probably the politician too. Not a major issue really. LOL But still thinking.

Leave a comment:

• NikeeGoddess
    replied

hey! i think that was rigged. too many people knew the routine. LOL!
    that is creative but it might only work at disney world

and i agree emily's solution would work. see my comment about mccain.

i have another suggestion. when VP joe biden was a humble senator from delaware he was one of the few senators who did not have a home in DC. he took the train from DC to delaware every single day. he left from union station which is 2 blocks from the senate buildings.

see what goes on there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOSBpsQp1FI
    and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da6HL3j2AHg&feature=fvw
    you could do something similar... some kind of demonstration that was theme related to your story.

Leave a comment:

• bioprofessor
    replied

Originally posted by Steven Jenkins View Post
    I'm guessing that any figure important enough to warrant Secret-Service protection would never pass through public airport buildings... But I have a Senator being assassinated in Dulles airport foyer, despite having eight secret-service agents in attendance.

LOL

Would my script get away with this, or be jeered out of court? It's only my opening scene, not the entire thrust of the story - if that makes any difference...?

If travelling through is too unlikely, then would any figure requiring secret-service protection ever open (say) a new airport terminal? If so, what level of figure - Senator, Governer, anybody else?

Many thanks
    Does it have to be Dulles? If not, you could have it so his jet has mechanical problems (accident or sabotage?) and has to land at some podunk strip with little or no security/amenities whatsoever. As for his assailants, let's say they get word of the diversion somehow (maybe there's a plant on the politician's plane) and now have to scramble to get to the airfield. Now you've upped the suspense with the assailants racing to get to the new location before its too late.

Probably way out in left field, but throw'n it out there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X