X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mswriterj
    replied
    Re: Cop Nomenclature

We just had "shift change." New officers would come in, read the log, get their district from the Shift Sergeant, and that was about it. No briefing unless something big was happening. This was for patrolmen.

Leave a comment:

• Signal30
    replied

Thanks all...I recalled after I posted that (back in the AF) we just used to call it Shift Change. Doesn't exactly have a ring to it, though.

Roll Call sounds right, at least right enough to set up the scene.

Leave a comment:

• NikeeGoddess
    replied

it seems like they do the briefing during roll call so they can give out the assignments for the day.

but you can think outside the box:
    maybe give it a punching nickname that the cops call it. would they serve donuts during this time? krispy kreme or dunkin?

Leave a comment:

• catcon
    replied

I just wrapped up 5 years in a small police force (doing computer stuff). There, they called it "briefing": Confirming the day's roster or "beat" assignments, getting up-to-date on ongoing cases, etc. That sounds a little different from a "roll call", which infers some sort of attendance check, to me.

Leave a comment:

• Rathmon
    replied

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
    What's the term for the briefing cops get before they go out on shift? IIRC, it was called guardmount when I was in the military, but I'm pretty sure civilian cops don't call it that...

...thanks!
    Pre-Shift briefing?

I think in Hill Street Blues it was 'roll call'

According to info about Chicago PD, Roll Call is right.

Leave a comment:

• Signal30
    started a topic Cop Nomenclature

Cop Nomenclature

What's the term for the briefing cops get before they go out on shift? IIRC, it was called guardmount when I was in the military, but I'm pretty sure civilian cops don't call it that...

...thanks!
Working...
X