Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody been in the MILITARY?

i have a group of russian soldiers who show up in a scene to pick up a traitor who's wanted for treason. who would typically be in charge of this mission? a Senior Sargent?

I've looked up the military ranks of Russian military and it doesnt seem too off from Americans.

the way i have it setup in my story right now is that three military jeeps roll up to a location (a party where a lot of people are drunk), start asking questions, belt a coupla people around after they get out of line, etc. They find the traitor passed out and take him away. right now i have a Sargent in command of about 12 soldiers on this small mission/task.

should there be someone higher up in ranks that's ordering the soldiers to "take him away" etc?
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Re: Anybody been in the MILITARY?

The Russian names of ranks may be similar to America's, but the roles & responsibilities of those individuals are not.

Most likely you'll be fine with a Sergeant. Though the US equivelant for this mission would probably be a Lieutenant.

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
    i have a group of russian soldiers who show up in a scene to pick up a traitor who's wanted for treason. who would typically be in charge of this mission? a Senior Sargent?

I've looked up the military ranks of Russian military and it doesnt seem too off from Americans.

the way i have it setup in my story right now is that three military jeeps roll up to a location (a party where a lot of people are drunk), start asking questions, belt a coupla people around after they get out of line, etc. They find the traitor passed out and take him away. right now i have a Sargent in command of about 12 soldiers on this small mission/task.

should there be someone higher up in ranks that's ordering the soldiers to "take him away" etc?
    Looking to take the "Bono" off my screenname.

Comment

-
      Last edited by TheCleaner; 03-02-2011, 06:20 AM.

Comment

You're much better off just figuring out how it actually works in the Russian military then starting with the US military and then assuming it would be the same in the Russian military. That's like thinking that if you know what Russian equivalent of each letter in the English language you'll be able to read Russian. Doesn't work that way. You still need to know the language.

Comment

If the suspect is believed to be a traitor, an arrest warrant no doubt has issued and the Russian Army personnel making the arrest, I believe, are called 'warrant officers' - either a Praporshchik (Warrant Officer) or a Senior Praporshchik (Warrant Officer in charge). Their title is based upon the duty assigned to them; in this case to carry out the execution of the arrest warrant. The warrant officer can be commissioned or non-commissioned in rank.

Be certain the party at which the arrest takes place is on base as the military have no jurisdiction off the military base. The arrest would be made by local police, then the suspect turned over to military authorities if the party were in town.

Comment

Lieutenant or Senior Lieutenant

Comment

Ask your question here, there's gotta be a Rusky military buff or two: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...isplay.php?f=3
              If you really like it you can have the rights
              It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

BTW, do you know this joke:
                - Tovarish Major, what am I supposed to do if I step on a mine by accident?
                - You will have to jump 30 meters up, lieutenant, and spread over a wide area.

Comment

I was a Russian linguist in the U.S. army and while I've never been confronted with this specific question my general impression from working and training with Russian troops in places like Bosnia and the Ukraine is that it would at least be a Major in charge. Keep in mind a traitor is a big deal. Even in the U.S. army they wouldn't just send an enlisted led element to pick up a traitor. Especially one of some significant intelligence value. I'd go with a Major (Maiyor) or perhaps even Lt. Colonel (podpolkovnik). Also, the forces for this would probably be spez naz of some sort would be my guess.

I could be wrong but that's what I would think.

Comment

thanks all. yea, in my mind a traitor would be a big deal too or anybody wanted for treason and is on the run. right now i've changed it to local police getting the tip first and picking the traitor up when he's caught off guard and taking him back to the military base. this also is happening 15 to 20 miles outside the Russian border where this traitor has managed to escape to.
                    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

thanks all. yea, in my mind a traitor would be a big deal too or anybody wanted for treason and is on the run. right now i've changed it to local police getting the tip first and picking the traitor up when he's caught off guard and taking him back to the military base. this also is happening 15 to 20 miles outside the Russian border where this traitor has managed to escape to.
                      I was going to ask this when I read your OP. Whether it is in or out of the country matters A LOT. Exactly where also matters some.

You decribe a counter-intelligence operation, so it will likely include intelligence units (probably GRU Spetsnas troops) instead of regular military (unless there is some reason the regular military is hiding it from the politicians).

However, a mission such as this, outside Russian territory would likely be completed by the SVR. If the military is doing it as a covert op, you should go with a Major as the military leader, but I recommend at least one SVR operative and he would technically be in charge.

You can create great conflict if you include SVR and GRU players. They don't normally get along (think stereotypical joint CIA/FBI operation).
                      www.silvercop.com
                      If we don't get the information, and if we don't get the leads, we can't track down the killers.

Comment

Working...
                      X