Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the under-forty crowd -

If you saw a short film with a plot that depends on the audience knowing what a pinochle deck is, that is to say what cards are contained in the deck as opposed to a regular set of cards used in poker or bridge, would you "get it?"

Pinochle (pronounced 'pee-knuckle' if you don't know) decks contain only 48 cards, two sets of the four suits but only nines through aces.

I used to play pinochle with my family years ago but haven't heard of anyone playing the game for a long time. Is such a reference outdated?
    We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Re: Question for the under-forty crowd -

I'd have no idea what any of that means.
    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
      I was afraid of that. Pinochle is a card game, but uses a different set of cards. A deck of pinochle cards has two aces of spades, two aces of hearts, et cetera, down to the nines, meaning that there are eight each of aces, kings, queens, jacks, tens and nines. There are no numbered cards from two through eight included in the deck.

If you chance to see my short film in the future, now you can laugh at the ending.

Comment

nope. wouldn't know. mid twenties here.

Although sounds like something my friends from France were familiar with as they once described something similar but couldn't name it in English. Same age group as me.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
          that's cause you're "over-the-hill", old lady.

your "plot depends..." sounds quite uninteresting, billy boy. sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
            that's cause you're "over-the-hill", old lady.

How old do you think I am?

I'm under 40.
            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

I know pinochle is a card game, but that's all I know about it. My grandparents used to play it.

Any way to reference the differences earlier in the short so we under-forties will get the ending?
              "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
              ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

You're way off the mark asking the under 40 crowd. I'm betting that for any reasonable percentage of familiarity with the game you'd be looking at the over 60 crowd. It's at the periphery of my knowledge and I've played cards (professionally) for most of my life.
                If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
                Dave Barry

Comment

This film will likely run about four minutes, more of a skit with a twist, not a detailed plot. When I say short, I really mean short. No dialogue, just action and close up shots of the players.

I probably won't bother to shoot it if there is little likelihood that the audience will understand how eight aces appear in the deck. On the other hand, it would be a one day shoot so what do I have to lose?

Comment

Originally posted by Centurio View Post
                    You're way off the mark asking the under 40 crowd. I'm betting that for any reasonable percentage of familiarity with the game you'd be looking at the over 60 crowd. It's at the periphery of my knowledge and I've played cards (professionally) for most of my life.
                    <sorry to go off topic> What do you play? I'm guessing poker/hold'em. I used to deal black jack and other little table games.

</off topic>

Comment

I'm 27. Don't know pinochle but I used to play euchre, which uses a 24 card deck, so I'm aware that not all card games are played with the whole 52.

Have no idea what your short idea is but one good (if slightly cliche) way to explain the game to the audience might be to have a newbie at the table that needs the game explained to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                        Have no idea what your short idea is but one good (if slightly cliche) way to explain the game to the audience might be to have a newbie at the table that needs the game explained to them.
                        +1. And honestly, I'm not even sure you'd need that. A single shot of someone splitting the 2-8 cards from 2 regular packs and you're probably good to go (unless, of course, it would ruin the gag).
                        twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

My parents played pinochle with our next door neighbors, but I never learned how. I had no idea that the deck was different until now.

Comment

I'm in my forties, first generation Latino and I have no idea what that card game is about. And I can virtually guarantee that the next generation of my Latino tree cousins have no idea what that game is about. So you may have lost a whole demographic.

One thing I have learned when making shorts, is that it has to be compelling. Find a why to visually explain what the game is about, since seem to have your heart set on not having any dialogue.
                            Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Originally posted by billmarq View Post
                              This film will likely run about four minutes, more of a skit with a twist, not a detailed plot. When I say short, I really mean short. No dialogue, just action and close up shots of the players.

I probably won't bother to shoot it if there is little likelihood that the audience will understand how eight aces appear in the deck. On the other hand, it would be a one day shoot so what do I have to lose?
                              just a thought - could you do a close-up on the boxed deck? many boxes of cards say something on them. if you label the box as "pinochle cards" then that should be enough of a cue that it isn't a standard deck of cards.
                              life happens
                              despite a few cracked pots-
                              and random sunlight

Comment

Working...
                              X