Police Radio Description of Hispanic Male?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Radio Description of Hispanic Male?

Could anyone tell me how the police would put out a description of a wanted Hispanic male suspect in his late 30s wearing blue jeans and black sweater?

In the UK, the police use what is known as IC codes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IC_codes) so in this instance it would be "IC2 male..."

Would be grateful for any clarification on how it would be done in the US.

Thanks

Re: Police Radio Description of Hispanic Male?

Suspect is a hispanic male, in his thirties wearing blue jeans and a black sweater"

Comment

Isn't this where someone bursts into the thread and accuses the OP of being racist for making the suspect Hispanic?

Comment

That depends, Ihavebiglips.
        It isn't racial profiling to identify race or ethnic characteristics where there is a suspect, such as in this case. However, if the police were pulling over a motorist for a broken headlight or speeding, and they identified those characteristics when calling in the stop to the dispatcher, which for many years (and still) resulted in a back-up patrol car at the scene, when no code or race was called in for white motorists in similar circumstances, that constitutes illegal discrimination.

Comment

Ronnie D is right. When it comes to the description part of the transmission, it's pretty much "open voice." Different jurisdictions use different codes - sometimes "10-codes." Only a few 10-codes are universal, but some are specific to each police, sheriff, or state patrol department.

Comment

Yeah, the 10 codes are getting more and more scrutiny since they caused confusion during Hurricane Katrina and 9/11.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten-cod...plain_language
            Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

Just keep in mind that 911 dispatchers are taught to try and get physical characteristics into the description.

So it won't just be "Hispanic male in his 30s wearing a ..."

It would more likely be "Tall Hispanic male in his 30s, thin build, short crew-cut hair, wearing ..."

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by yvonnjanae View Post
                Just keep in mind that 911 dispatchers are taught to try and get physical characteristics into the description.

So it won't just be "Hispanic male in his 30s wearing a ..."

It would more likely be "Tall Hispanic male in his 30s, thin build, short crew-cut hair, wearing ..."
                In theory but from my experience with law enforcement (I'm a prosecutor) I see descriptions from police like "Hispanic male suspect in his late 30s wearing blue jeans and black sweater" all the time. I've never seen a description aired that described someone as "tall." Generally if they don't have an approximate height they aren't going to say "tall" or "short." The terms are way too vague.

Comment

Working...
                X