Without Googling, do you know what Queen Anne's lace is?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Without Googling, do you know what Queen Anne's lace is?

And by that I mean, do you know what it looks like, not its old-timey herbal contraceptive function. Or if you don't know what it looks like, do you at least know it's a plant?

It's all over the place here but I don't know whether that's true elsewhere. I don't want to waste three words on a stumbling block. OTOH, it is my favorite weed, so lovely... I want the image if I can use it.
    "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
    Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Re: Without Googling, do you know what Queen Anne's lace is?

I know it's a plant, because it was mentioned in one of the Trixie Belden books, my favorite book series as a child. (Trixie was so much better than Nancy Drew.) I don't know what it looks like but I'd guess it's got white flowers with petals that look like lace.

If it's clear in context that you're talking about a plant, I think people can figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by WaitForIt View Post
      And by that I mean, do you know what it looks like, not its old-timey herbal contraceptive function. Or if you don't know what it looks like, do you at least know it's a plant?
      I know it's a little white flower because I watched Anne of Green Gables years ago. ("This is the last of the Queen Anne's Lace ... no one even notices your hair anymore.") Otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue.
      STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

yes, it's a flower. named because its white gossamer petal looks like lace. there's a small red spot in the center, which gives it the Queen Anne portion, representing a drop of blood that she pricked her finger with the needle while sewing the "lace"

Comment

Visually, I know exactly what it looks like.

But I didn't know it had contraceptive virtues.

Comment

I thought it was a flower, but couldn't tell ya anything about it. But if your question is whether or not its too obscure, I think you're safe using it, in context.

Midnite

Comment

Queen Anne's Lace?

Quite familiar with it, but I can usually keep it under control with the lawnmower. Lots of it in pastures and fields in Eastern Ontario.
              JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
                I know it's a little white flower because I watched Anne of Green Gables years ago. ("This is the last of the Queen Anne's Lace ... no one even notices your hair anymore.") Otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue.
                When I was in high school my girlfriend made me watch these movies. I remember that line about the Queen Anne's lace. Good film. Carrots!

Comment

I had absolutely no idea.

If you are planning to use the term Queen Anne's lace, you should make it clear from the context that you are talking about a plant.

Apparently it is a kind of wild carrot. According to Wikepedia, the seeds may exert some kind of birth control function through a hormonal effect.

However, be advised that the plant has a close resemblance to poison hemlock, to which it is related.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Re: Queen Anne's Lace?

Originally posted by Fortean View Post
                    Quite familiar with it, but I can usually keep it under control with the lawnmower. Lots of it in pastures and fields in Eastern Ontario.
                    Hahaha.

...I think it's clear from the context that it's at least some sort of plant. But it's one of those things you can't un-know in order to see with fresh eyes. Could replace with dandelions. Queen Anne's lace looks and sound prettier, though, and I do like pretty things. I'll leave it for now and mull it over on my way back through.

Thanks all.
                    "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
                    Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

You can write something like "Daffodils and Queen Anne's Laces in full bloom." Then you don't have to explain.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
                        You can write something like "Daffodils and Queen Anne's Laces in full bloom." Then you don't have to explain.
                        Oh, I like that strategy. Thank you. Although since this is a summer thing, the first other wildflower that came to mind for the given environment is something we call Black-Eyed Susans. Which I'm sure is even less clear. Soooo... I'll have to think some more on that one. But thanks again for that angle.

edit -- aha! I'll plug in some coneflowers. I'm happy now.

Comment

Yes. There was a whole field of it across the street from my house growing up. Tall green stalks, pretty white, flat, lacy flower. I believe (or at least was told as a child) that it is actually a weed.

I probably picked a bunch, gave them to my mother and was told "Those are weeds." Yeah, now, in fact, I'm sure that happened.

Thanks for the fun trip down memory lane, WaitForIt!

PS - you must be from the northeast? We also have black-eyed susans - daisy-like flowers with yellow petals and a brown center. Also the name of a great restaurant on Nantucket...
                          Last edited by ScriptGal; 01-29-2013, 06:21 PM.
                          ScriptGal
                          Screenplay Consultation & Analysis
                          Fifteen Years Development Experience
                          http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

I thought it might be like Brussels Lace - which is the foam that clings to your beer mug.

- Bill
                            Free Script Tips:
                            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by ScriptGal View Post
                              Yes. There was a whole field of it across the street from my house growing up. Tall green stalks, pretty white, flat, lacy flower. I believe (or at least was told as a child) that it is actually a weed.
                              That sounds right. We had them too; I grew up near Chicago.
                              writertypepeople.tumblr.com
                              twitter.com/susanlbridges
                              pendantaudio.com

Comment

Working...
                              X