No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan pro athletes live?

Anyone from Michigan?

Which suburbs do your state's pro athletes live in?

I found tons of sites that list famous athletes from Michigan, but none that list where pros live who play for the state.

The Grosse Pointes seem to be "old" money, so would Bloomfield Hills (median income 200 grand, houses over 1 million) be the better choice?

Anyone know outright where Tigers or Lions players live? The more expensive but also hip the better.

Re: Michigan pro athletes live?

As a pop-drinking Euchre player who likes to go "Up North" I am thinking West Bloomfield, Bloomfield Hills, etc. Possibly Birmingham. Maybe Grosse Pointe. For a screenplay if you said Bloomfield Hills, I'd believe you. Everyone seems to run into them at the Somerset Mall... their hip bar might be in Royal Oak. (Or Ann Arbor). Talking about expensive living conditions in a state like Michigan right now... Michigan's really in a bad place -- property values are crazy-low. So you're just not going to see housing values anywhere near what you'd see in CA or NY or MA or what have you.
    Last edited by cvolante; 03-04-2013, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
      As a pop-drinking Euchre player who likes to go "Up North" I am thinking West Bloomfield, Bloomfield Hills, etc. Possibly Birmingham. Maybe Grosse Pointe. For a screenplay if you said Bloomfield Hills, I'd believe you. Everyone seems to run into them at the Somerset Mall... their hip bar might be in Royal Oak. (Or Ann Arbor). Talking about expensive living conditions in a state like Michigan right now... Michigan's really in a bad place -- property values are crazy-low. So you're just not going to see housing values anywhere near what you'd see in CA or NY or MA or what have you.

Thanks so much cvolante, all of this is very helpful.

Yeah, when I started doing the research for it I found how low the real estate really is going for, which means I'll have to pile on other financial problems (in the script he's going to lose his house) to make his financial stress believable.

Comment

cvolante, do you get your pop at a party store?

Lifelong Michigander here. So feel free to ask anything about "local color."

I've gotten the impression some Pistons players - because they play at the Palace of Abn. Hills - live even farther north, like Oakland Twp. (north of Rochester). I used to know where some Red Wings live: B'ham, GP, Novi, etc.

But not too sure about Tigers/ Lions players. Lions training facility is downriver (Allen Park) but dunno if any players live there.

And yes, Royal Oak/B'ham are among towns where they might hit the bars. (Again, I recall when some of the Wings celebrated a Stanley Cup @ Sangria in RO. And a Tigers player from farther back used to hang there.)

I don't know anything about your script, but you should also keep in mind that a lot of athletes don't live in their team's area year-round. (Also depends upon if they have kids/ what time of year they play, etc.) So if your guy has $$ problems could be cos he overinvested in housing, etc., elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by TBH View Post
          I don't know anything about your script, but you should also keep in mind that a lot of athletes don't live in their team's area year-round. (Also depends upon if they have kids/ what time of year they play, etc.) So if your guy has $$ problems could be cos he overinvested in housing, etc., elsewhere.
          Great point and one I hadn't thought of. He's a Tiger player (which will end by page ten), but the script takes place in the off-season. Would make total sense that he has another vacay home somewhere warm.

Thanks! I'm only sorting out a first draft right now, as I get further into it I'm sure I'll have some very stupid questions to ask.

Comment

Lifelong mitten-man here as well. Feel free to ask anything.

I know that a couple of the Tigers players lived up in Royal Oak, and I knew of two Red Wings players that were/are in Novi.

Bloomfield/Birmingham is a very safe bet as well.

Some of the younger players might be in Detroit proper as well, as there are a lot of new developments/high rises coming to fruition down here.

Comment

Originally posted by ry_mac View Post
              Lifelong mitten-man here as well. Feel free to ask anything.

I know that a couple of the Tigers players lived up in Royal Oak, and I knew of two Red Wings players that were/are in Novi.

Bloomfield/Birmingham is a very safe bet as well.

Some of the younger players might be in Detroit proper as well, as there are a lot of new developments/high rises coming to fruition down here.
              Thanks ry_mac. Good to know. I hate getting details wrong. You'd want someone from whatever setting you're writing not to groan and eye-roll if at all possible.

Originally posted by TBH View Post
              I don't know anything about your script, but you should also keep in mind that a lot of athletes don't live in their team's area year-round.
              Rewrote this scene last night, worked really well, an easy and believable add. Thx again.

Comment

Cabrera lives in Birmingham.
                @PatriotFrames

Comment

Originally posted by Development Hell View Post
                  Cabrera lives in Birmingham.
                  Hmmm...

Comment

TBH: I always get my pop at a party store-- didn't know that was even unusual. But I love that in Canada they get their beer at the BEER STORE!

Comment

By the way, do you know the current mayor of Detroit is basketball great Dave Bing? Bing worked at different corporations off season before starting his own steel company. Great story. Recent book.

Grew up in West Bloomfield. When folks ask where a Michigander is from, they hold up their right mitten and point with their left.

Hope this helps.
                      Last edited by dworhach; 03-16-2013, 02:23 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by dworhach View Post
                        By the way, do you know the current mayor of Detroit is basketball great Dave Bing? Bing worked at different corporations off season before starting his own steel company. Great story. Recent book.

Grew up in West Bloomfield. When folks ask where a Michigander is from, they hold up their right mitten and point with their left.

Hope this helps.
                        Thx, dwohach every bit helps.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                          Hmmm...
                          Miguel Cabrera is the Tiger's star first basemen. He was the AL MVP and captured the first triple crown in over 40 years. (when a player leads the league in batting average, home runs, and RBIs.

Comment

Originally posted by KJSM View Post
                            Miguel Cabrera is the Tiger's star first basemen. He was the AL MVP and captured the first triple crown in over 40 years. (when a player leads the league in batting average, home runs, and RBIs.

Oh, I believe you. The Hmmm was just me wondering if I should change my location to Birmingham.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                              Oh, I believe you. The Hmmm was just me wondering if I should change my location to Birmingham.
                              Ah, no worries (I didn't make the original comment, by the way). I assumed it was regarding who "Cabrera" was.

Comment

Working...
                              X