No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent successful song...

Hey music lovers,

I'm trying to come up with a recent popular pop release that either samples/covers or rips off (legally, of course) an older song, ideally a "classic" song. Something from a previous generation. (My character is ateenage jock, contemporary but not necessarily 2013, so could be any time in last few years.)

All suggestions welcome.
    sigpic

Website
    Tweets
    Book

Re: Recent successful song...

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
    Hey music lovers,

I'm trying to come up with a recent popular pop release that either samples/covers or rips off (legally, of course) an older song, ideally a "classic" song. Something from a previous generation. (My character is ateenage jock, contemporary but not necessarily 2013, so could be any time in last few years.)

All suggestions welcome.
    You can find all kinds of information on covers and sampling from www.whosampled.com. Some examples:

Flo Rida's "I Cry" samples the Bingo Players' "Cry (Just A Little)."

Kanye West's "Blood on the Leaves" samples Nina Simone's "Strange Fruit."

Prodigy's "The One" samples The Delfonics' "To Be Your One."

Comment

Thanks Socal. Have been checking out that site, but always a bit tricky to know if it was really successful or not, plus hard to narrow info if you don't have titles to start with.

But it's a great reference point. (And I've been getting some really good suggestions already.)

Nic
      sigpic

Website
      Tweets
      Book

Comment

Back in the 90's we had Puff Daddy's Come With Me (Led Zep's Kashmir) and The Fugee's Killing Me Softly... but I can't think of a recent example that was a global hit (I bet there's something obvious though)

Comment

Not sure if you're still needing suggestions but the first song that popped into my head was "A Little Less Conversation"... JXL's 2002 remix of Elvis Presley's 1968 original. The remix was a No. 1 hit around the world (although the original recording had only moderate success, so Elvis is probably more the "classic" than the song)

Another is Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" (1970) with Counting Crows cover version released in 2002.
          "Writing is easy. All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead"... Gene Fowler

Comment

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
            Hey music lovers,

All suggestions welcome.
            Might be a bit old, but Kid Rock's "All Summer Long."
            #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

most of the hits written by Will.i.am/the Black Eyed Peas were ripped off of other songs. And a lot of Daft Punk's tracks from Discovery were entirely derived from samples.

look through whosampled .com to check out the exact sample sources (of any song that uses a sample/steals)

Comment

Working...
              X