Jobs/careers completely opposite to Scientists?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobs/careers completely opposite to Scientists?

What types of careers or jobs would be completely opposite to that of a career based in science? Can you think of anything besides priests, baptists or nuns?
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Re: Jobs/careers completely opposite to Scientists?

Llama farmer (hey it rhymmes)

Alfalfa farmer

aromatherapy

massage therapist

green party member

exorcist

dog whisperer

petrol pump attendant

air hostess - expecting a caning for that.....
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

psychic

Comment

Republican politician.
        If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
        Dave Barry

Comment

Have you considered that the character could be someone who "should" go on science based info / evidence but instead goes on faith, their "gut", etc... opens up more possibilities (gambler, wild catter)... Or there are also occupations like psychologist / psychotherapists which are frequently "looked down on" by MDs.

Comment

You boys are awesome...thanks.
            One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Manicurist, Aesthetician, Hairdresser.

Lactation consultant

Painter

Gardener

youtube talk show host

songwriter

professional packer/movers

children's book author

Actor/Singer/Dancer

Comment

Originally posted by Centurio View Post
                Republican politician.
                An inconvenient Al Gore.

(Details are on sale in the lobby.)

Comment

Bible school creationist teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
                    What types of careers or jobs would be completely opposite to that of a career based in science? Can you think of anything besides priests, baptists or nuns?
                    There are plenty of religious folks who believe in science, and plenty of scientists who are able to reconcile science and faith. Likewise, any of the careers listed above do not automatically contradict "scientist." Your choice of "scientist" is too general to let us give you a "doctor versus faith healer" answer. (Though I do admit a guffaw at "republican politician".) An evolutionary biology career might be opposed to a creationist, but that's a job versus a belief.

Be more specific. What do you really need?

Comment

The above suggestions are good enough for what I'm looking for. Thanks guys.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by writergalla View Post

Lactation consultant
                        Watch out, lots of science there, for reals.

I'd go with something creative, like an artist. Especially one of those artists that makes stuff out of dryer lint.
                        "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
                        Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Originally posted by WaitForIt View Post
                          I'd go with something creative, like an artist. Especially one of those artists that makes stuff out of dryer lint.
                          But wait. That was part of the display for my 6th grade science project: What dryer lint can tell us about quantum mechanics

Comment

Originally posted by WaitForIt View Post
                            Watch out, lots of science there, for reals.

Actually, lots of scientists are married to artists, or are artists themselves. My dad is a scientist, my mom is an artist and she does have one painting she did with dryer lint.

Comment

Originally posted by carcar View Post
                              Actually, lots of scientists are married to artists, or are artists themselves. My dad is a scientist, my mom is an artist and she does have one painting she did with dryer lint.
                              I like dryer lint as much as the next person. But where the scientist studies the lint, the artist makes stuff with it; at least anecdotally, they interact with the same world in very different ways, and so that's why I'd call them opposites in the spirit of the OP's question.
                              "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
                              Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Working...
                              X