Writing a period piece? Here's a great Google site to check words & phrases in use...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing a period piece? Here's a great Google site to check words & phrases in use...

... over time.

https://books.google.com/ngrams

You enter the words and phrases, choose the date bounds, and it searches a its enormous digitised book database for occurrences and charts them.

You can have all sorts of fun seeing when words and phrases appeared, spiked, ebbed or climbed. And do face-offs (i.e Sigmund Freud vs Carl Jung).

Writing a period piece? Here's a great Google site to check words & phrases in use...

Very cool. Thanks!

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

Re: Writing a period piece?

This would have been nice when I was writing my period script. I spent well over a hundred hours scouring NYT archives and period books to get what that search would perform in less than an hour. Definitely bookmarked 60Words!

Comment

I thought this was something like timelines of history, which would be really helpful, but it's more like just an info-graphic so I'm not really clear on the point...
        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
          I thought this was something like timelines of history, which would be really helpful, but it's more like just an info-graphic so I'm not really clear on the point...
          if you need to know whether a word or phrase would be anachronistic as used, it can give you a reasonable idea

Comment

Re: Writing a period piece? Here's a great Google site

would be cool if it were possible to translate a contemporary phrase into an historical idiom...for example "Shut your mouth!" or "That's total bullshit." ...a future version of Wolfram Alpha may provide a literal translation of 4th century Attic Greek "Keep your lips together." or 12th Century Danish "That's the cat's hair." : )

if there aren't cross-referenced idiomatic phrase books...soon databases?
            @oceanbluesky

Comment

Here's an example.

The word "scientist" was coined in 1833. "Natural philosopher" was the term people had used before and for some time after.

To check when the word really came into usage, you can enter it into the search. You'll get this:

https://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...entist%3B%2Cc0

As you can see, it picked up from around the mid/late 1860s.

Comment

Originally posted by 60WordsPerHour View Post
                Here's an example.

The word "scientist" was coined in 1833. "Natural philosopher" was the term people had used before and for some time after.

To check when the word really came into usage, you can enter it into the search. You'll get this:

https://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...entist%3B%2Cc0

As you can see, it picked up from around the mid/late 1860s.
                OK, I get it now and that IS useful.... But I wonder if many screenwriters will pay attention? Always drives me nuts when characters in period pieces say things like "OK."
                "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

OK, I get it now and that IS useful.... But I wonder if many screenwriters will pay attention? Always drives me nuts when characters in period pieces say things like "OK."
                  Agreed. Watched an old western recently where one of the characters exclaimed "Wowwee!"

Comment

Re: Writing a period piece? Here's a great Google site

Originally posted by oceanbluesky View Post
                    would be cool if it were possible to translate a contemporary phrase into an historical idiom...for example "Shut your mouth!" or "That's total bullshit." ...a future version of Wolfram Alpha may provide a literal translation of 4th century Attic Greek "Keep your lips together." or 12th Century Danish "That's the cat's hair." : )

if there aren't cross-referenced idiomatic phrase books...soon databases?
                    Excellent idea.

Comment

Here's a great Google site to check words & phrases in use...

Originally posted by 60WordsPerHour View Post
                      ... over time.

https://books.google.com/ngrams

You enter the words and phrases, choose the date bounds, and it searches a its enormous digitised book database for occurrences and charts them.

You can have all sorts of fun seeing when words and phrases appeared, spiked, ebbed or climbed. And do face-offs (i.e Sigmund Freud vs Carl Jung).
                      Excellent resource. Thank you!

Comment

Some odd years ago I would partake in "hardcore" Civil War reenacting. We had to walk the walk and talk the talk.

This is a good resource for 19th century slang: http://mess1.homestead.com/Nineteent...Dictionary.pdf

Comment

Working...
                        X