Did they have self-serve car wash vaccum stations in the 1970s?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did they have self-serve car wash vaccum stations in the 1970s?

I can't believe there's not more research questions like this here!

But for a period flashback I hope to learn-- those coin-pay vacuum stations they have at self-service car washes- where you'd vacuum your own car interior- did those exist in 1970?

Thanks...

P
    A
    R
    D
    A
    C
    K

Re: Did they have self-serve car wash vaccum stations in the 1970s?

Originally posted by Pardack View Post
    I can't believe there's not more research questions like this here!

But for a period flashback I hope to learn-- those coin-pay vacuum stations they have at self-service car washes- where you'd vacuum your own car interior- did those exist in 1970?

Thanks...

P
    A
    R
    D
    A
    C
    K
    it would seem so

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...&pg=434,737186

Comment

That article refers to a self-pay car wash, not vacuuming. The two machines may go hand in hand at today's facilities- but this ad doesn't answer the question about self-operated 70s vacuum stations.

(If I have someone other than the character vacuum the car it ruins the gag.)

Comment

Don't worry about it. It doesn't matter. Just do what you want.

If the issue of time dealt with the 1940s, it would be different. But nobody is going to say, "Wait - they didn't have vacuums at car washes in 1976."

The vacuums have been around for a long time. A few old-timers here and there may actually remember when they encountered them for the first time, but most people from that era do not remember, because they did not use those facilities, or at least not the vacuums, or it has all run together in their memories.

Anachronisms are only significant when they leap out at you. That is definitely not the case here.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by Pardack View Post
          That article refers to a self-pay car wash, not vacuuming. The two machines may go hand in hand at today's facilities- but this ad doesn't answer the question about self-operated 70s vacuum stations.

(If I have someone other than the character vacuum the car it ruins the gag.)
          You're in luck. This patent filed in April 1963, for a "Self-service car wash", also refers to the vacuum cleaner.

---------

"It is one of the primary objects of the instant invention to provide a car wash wherein the owner of the car, upon the deposit of a predetermined amount of money, has placed at his disposal a supply of both detergent and clear water in order that he might personally wash his car, or any particular portion thereof such as for example the automobile motor or the undersurface of the automobile."

---------

"Additionally, although not illustrated, it is also contemplated that a suitable vacuum device be provided for use by the car owner in cleaning the interior of the car, this vacuum device including a nozzle and an elongated suction hose, the hose being supported in an elevated position in the same manner as the fluid line 62."

----------

https://www.google.com/patents/US3229703
          "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
              You're in luck. This patent filed in April 1963, for a "Self-service car wash", also refers to the vacuum cleaner.

---------

"It is one of the primary objects of the instant invention to provide a car wash wherein the owner of the car, upon the deposit of a predetermined amount of money, has placed at his disposal a supply of both detergent and clear water in order that he might personally wash his car, or any particular portion thereof such as for example the automobile motor or the undersurface of the automobile."

---------

"Additionally, although not illustrated, it is also contemplated that a suitable vacuum device be provided for use by the car owner in cleaning the interior of the car, this vacuum device including a nozzle and an elongated suction hose, the hose being supported in an elevated position in the same manner as the fluid line 62."

----------

https://www.google.com/patents/US3229703
              And here's a patent, filed in May, 1976 that specifically refers to an "improved", coin-operated, self-service, car wash, vacuum cleaner.

---------

"DESCRIPTION
              Numerous types of coin operated vacuum assemblies are known in the prior art used in self service type car washes. The prior art vacuums are limited in suction and require substantial maintenance to keep in top running condition. None of the prior art vacuums utilize an efficient filter system to keep dust particles away from the vacuum motor to increase life thereof."

----------

https://www.google.com/patents/US4036346
              "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Working...
              X