Fade In Pro — Option to use left parentheses instead of TAB to start a parenthetical?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fade In Pro — Option to use left parentheses instead of TAB to start a parenthetical?

I think every screenplay application I've ever used allows you to hit the left parentheses key to insert a wrylie under the Character's name — but I can't find out how to do that in Fade In Pro. Just looking for a nudge in the right direction. Thanks for any pointers. My fingers are "hard-wired" to work the left parentheses instead of the TAB key.
    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Sorry ... Fade In just is not coded that way. You can make changes to the default behavior of Tab and Enter in connection with various elements under Format > Element Styles > Modify Element Style. But the left parenthesis is simply an opening parenthesis. I would bet that your left ring finger can learn to reach over to the left and hit the Tab key. 🙂

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
      Sorry ... Fade In just is not coded that way. You can make changes to the default behavior of Tab and Enter in connection with various elements under Format > Element Styles > Modify Element Style. But the left parenthesis is simply an opening parenthesis. I would bet that your left ring finger can learn to reach over to the left and hit the Tab key. 🙂
      I was afraid of that. I wonder if Kent Tessman would consider implementing the left parentheses? (It would probably be too big of a pain.) I think this is how Final Draft does it, isn't it? I knew there was a reason I didn't like Final Draft! Most of the other applications I use can do this both ways, TAB or left parentheses. Maybe I can get used to it, but I'm getting old and set in my ways. For now it's a three step process... left parentheses ("Oh crap"), Backspace, then TAB. (EDIT: Actually it's not that bad, Scrivener is the same and when writing seriously (not testing) I don't use wrylies that much anyhow. I was just hoping I had missed a setting.)

Speaking of being "set in my ways" this new forum software is going to take a bit of getting used to.
      Last edited by Centos; 10-10-2020, 11:34 AM.
      STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Wow, Centos, I thought you would be hoppin' mad about no left-parenthesis option. You must be getting mellow as you age! 😀

By the way, I checked Final Draft 10 just now. It does not have the left-parenthesis feature, either. It is probably better not to have it. I won't go into some long discussion of why, but in some cases it could get in the way, I think, and would have to be turned on/off.

I like the new board format. But, like you, I will have to get used to it. I have got to upload an avatar picture, once I check on how to do that. I think I am going to retire my Shakespeare icon. Not because I do not like it, but because it may be time to move on to a new avatar. I will see.

By the way, a new update to Fade In is way overdue, if past release dates are any guide to expected frequency of new versions.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Working...
        X