No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
    About the issue (which I reported) that Trelby was not working:

I have not been able to reproduce the problem, either. But it really did happen.

Whatever.
    I don't discount someone's experience just because I can't replicate it. I honestly wondered if it was specifically a Windows 10 issue.

I am going to agree with the proposition that Trelby is a good option (maybe the best option) if you really INSIST on having a free program. You just have to accept its primitiveness and its shortcomings.
    • You cannot apply font formatting like bold, italics, and underline (or at least I could not find a way, and when the question of how to make a word bold came up on the Internet several years ago, the answer was that you cannot do it). Bummer.
    • A lot of people have complained about that. I think italics (especially) are becoming much more common in screenplays.

• Fountain import: Trelby leaves the special codes in place (like a period to start a forced Scene Heading, an exclamation point to force an Action line), but it does at least "force" these elements. Consequently you can type (without the angle brackets) something like: <.Mansion on Mossy Lane> and the period will force the line to be a Scene Heading even though it does not otherwise meet the criteria for a Scene Heading. You can remove the period and the ! at the start of a lines when you edit in Trelby. There will not be many of these.
    Yeah, Trelby's Fountain support was one of the features added when they moved from 2.1 to 2.2 in 2012 (so one of the last things they did). Fountain wasn't as sophisticated then as it is now. Another thing that Trelby will never be able to do (unless someone picks up the project again) is dual dialog. Fountain supports dual dialog well now. Trelby also can't handle Fountain title pages. (Not hard to clean it up though.)

• Although I really like the way Trelby displays notes, you apparently cannot hide a note. The notes are similar to those in Movie Magic Screenwriter — easy to read! What I dislike about notes in most programs is that the text is too small and the text box for the note is really too damn small. I have on occasion taken a script that someone sent to me, converted it to Fountain, done my notes in Fountain, and then used Fade In to convert the script back to Final Draft (which is the usual format in which the script comes to me).
I like Fountain a lot. I've just been trying out Sublime-Text with Fountainhead today and it works nicely. That's a good trick using Fountain for the notes. I tried that and it and notes import into Trelby as well (though its probably not needed there.) You can't hide notes in Trelby's display but at least you can keep them from printing. Just go to Script > Settings > Change > PDF and click "Omit Note Elements."

• No Unicode, of course, but at least Trelby takes a Fountain file with em-dashes like this — and converts them to double hyphens (the old typewriter way to show an em-dash).
  • Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
    Happy writing.
    I usually try to mention that Trelby has its limitations. Lack of Unicode is one of its biggest limitations.

ADDENDUM: While I was writing the above, I checked some things in Trelby. At one point I imported a Fountain file. No problem. But when I changed an element type from Scene Heading to Action (an experiment), Trelby once again would not let me enter any text anywhere (I could move the cursor). It was the same problem as before. But, of course, when I restarted the program and tried to reproduce the problem, everything worked fine. And I tried to reproduce the problem a couple of times after that, but everything worked fine. So the issue appears to crop up only rarely.
    I'm guessing (I don't know) what you somehow clicked the mouse outside of Trelby and lost "focus" on it. I was actually able to replicate that (in both Windows and Linux). I just had to click the mouse inside Trelby to get the keyboard back.

Trelby has its limitations but (for me) there are work-arounds. But that's mostly because I spend the majority of my time figuring out how to type in screenplays instead of actually writing them.
    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

For some reason I can't correct the format of the above post? Sorry for the mess. I don't even know how it got that way. There was some kind of glitch when I went to post it. Maybe my Internet went down momentarily.
      Last edited by Centos; 10-21-2020, 11:33 PM.
      STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

When did — vs. -- become a talking point, never mind a problem? I don't mind, just curious.
        Results posted for the Halloween 2020 contest
        in Writing Exercises forum

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
          When did — vs. -- become a talking point, never mind a problem? I don't mind, just curious.
          ?? If this is directed at me, my apologies for being too dense to figure it out.

Comment

No, not particularly directed at you, but it's been mentioned a couple of times at least in this thread, as if being able to type a real em-dash — is essential when writing a script while the ages-old 2 hyphens em-dash -- is somehow wrong and unacceptable formatting now.

Comment

No, not particularly directed at you, but it's been mentioned a couple of times at least in this thread, as if being able to type a real em-dash — is essential when writing a script while the ages-old 2 hyphens em-dash -- is somehow wrong and unacceptable formatting now.
              Man, I was dense last night. You spelled it out for me and I didn't get it. (I'll blame this tiny font!) No, double hyphen vs em dash is not that big of a deal, it just points out that Trelby doesn't support Unicode.

Comment

The problem that I was having with Trelby not accepting input was not an issue related to focus. I tried clicking within the program several times. Anyway, I am off that issue forever. I will say, for what it is worth, that I have considered trying to reprogram Trelby. I would have to devote a lot of time, and this would not be a three- or four-month project. My estimate: Eighteen months, because I would have to beef up my Python or Lazarus (Pascal with an excellent set of widgets). I looked superficially at the project on GitHub. I get the distinct feeling that, even though the two people behind the project have obviously abandoned it, the project brain (whoever that is, at this point) wants any programmer to leap into the project as it is, instead of starting a fork. Well, can I just say, with whatever politeness I can muster, "Screw that!" If I work on any programming project, I will do it my way.

More on the em-dash
                No, you do not have to use an em-dash. However, it looks better than two hyphens. For a lot of people, maybe most, this is not important. But for some of us it is. In the world of printing, the em-dash is used for the old typewriter sequence of two hyphens.

Happy writing!

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Just askin', did you try what I suggested above re compatibility? Telling Trelby to run in Windows 7 or Vista mode within Windows 10?

Comment

It looks like quoting part of a bullet list has really scrambled the new vBulletin's brain. I'll avoid that in the future.

Comment

Just askin', did you try what I suggested above re compatibility? Telling Trelby to run in Windows 7 or Vista mode within Windows 10?
                      No, I did not. I have no need to use Trelby. And, besides, the problem that I have described only pops up erratically anyway. I might use the program in Windows 7 mode and not have a problem for days and then suddenly have the problem appear again.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
                        It looks like quoting part of a bullet list has really scrambled the new vBulletin's brain. I'll avoid that in the future.
                        Yeah, I knew that this was the problem. It might work all right if you quote the whole thing and then delete the parts that you do not want.

Comment

The problem that I was having with Trelby not accepting input was not an issue related to focus. I tried clicking within the program several times. Anyway, I am off that issue forever. I will say, for what it is worth, that I have considered trying to reprogram Trelby. I would have to devote a lot of time, and this would not be a three- or four-month project. My estimate: Eighteen months, because I would have to beef up my Python or Lazarus (Pascal with an excellent set of widgets). I looked superficially at the project on GitHub. I get the distinct feeling that, even though the two people behind the project have obviously abandoned it, the project brain (whoever that is, at this point) wants any programmer to leap into the project as it is, instead of starting a fork. Well, can I just say, with whatever politeness I can muster, "Screw that!" If I work on any programming project, I will do it my way.
                          I have to agree. The original programmer is "prickly" to put it kindly. He seems to be insulted by any suggestion. I wonder if the tension between him (Osku Salerma) and the "newcomer" (Anil Gulecha) had something to do with Trelby basically being abandoned (again) in 2012. They actually argued on the forum about features. And it appears that Anil Gulecha picked up the project and then Oksu Salerma jumped back in. So I see your point. I would love to see a modernized version of Trelby.

I think somebody could make a Highland 2 "clone" for Windows (and hopefully Linux) and do pretty well with it. A lot of people like Fountain and are impressed with Highland 2, but the programmers have zero interest in Windows (or Linux).

More on the em-dash
                          No, you do not have to use an em-dash. However, it looks better than two hyphens. For a lot of people, maybe most, this is not important. But for some of us it is. In the world of printing, the em-dash is used for the old typewriter sequence of two hyphens.

Happy writing!
                          I agree on the em dash, though I notice it less now.

Comment

It's hard to imagine anything that would make me more nervous than writing and saving my work on a program that hadn't been updated in 8 years.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                              It's hard to imagine anything that would make me more nervous than writing and saving my work on a program that hadn't been updated in 8 years.
                              I basically export everything to Fountain format for backup anyhow. I know plain text is never going away. That said, in eight years, I've never had a single file get corrupted in Trelby.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell:
                                My car's older than that and it still gets me there. If it works, it works! Yes there are better pro programs, no one's saying otherwise, but OP asked about freebies.

Comment

• Working...
                                  X