No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ComicBent
    replied
    I do not have Trelby on this computer, so I cannot check the matter out. But according to the online manual, you can use A4 paper and customized page sizes.

Trelby would probably be your best option to try among the free programs. However, it does not support Unicode, and that is a real disadvantage, in my opinion. Also, Trelby is abandonware. It has not had an update since version 2.2, and that was a good many years ago. Personally, I thought that the interface was clunky (not just the appearance, but also the way that you go about doing things). Nonetheless, I thought that the program had a lot of promise. Unfortunately, the two people who were working on Trelby lost interest in it (I assume). It takes a lot of time and work to create and maintain a major software program. The usual course of events is that someone creates a nice program, which may need some further development, and then after a few years decides not to spend any more time on the program.

My recommendations, and I have worked with lots of software over the last thirty years, are these:
    1. If you really cannot afford a screenwriting program, use Word with a template or try Trelby.
    2. Save up about $80 and get Fade In. It is inexpensive but fantastic in what it can do. A free trial version is available at Fade In. Updates are free, and you can use the program on more than one computer. And, yes, metric pagination is available.

Leave a comment:

• dpaterso
    replied
    I fell down a rabbit hole there trying to figure that out. I think it all comes down to printing options -- or lack of same.

There doesn't seem to be direct-to-printer printing available. There's a print to PDF option instead.

Although, when I followed the instructions to set this up (choose which PDF driver) and selected a known, working PDF driver, then tried to print a sample script to PDF, an error said nope, can't run that application. Even though it's right there.

So I tried the File > Export option instead, which has PDF as the default filetype (others are RTF, Final Draft XML, HTML, Fountain and Formatted text), and it saved a PDF file okay, no problems this time.

When I browsed the PDF (in my browser, Firefox) and selected the print icon, and then selected Preferences > Advanced, I could adjust the paper size from default Letter to A4.

Best I could come up with, sorry. Trelby, although functional for writing, lacks certain features you might wish it had. (And whose omission is puzzling.)

Leave a comment:

• gardnuk
    replied

Does Trelby take metric size paginating into account?

Leave a comment:

• dpaterso
    replied
    Celtx and Trelby are listed/linked in the Resources and Recommendations thread. I remember using the BBC Writersroom's template for Word, which just added styles for various screenplay elements, easy to use and fun. But once you use dedicated screenwriting software there's no going back.

Leave a comment:

• gardnuk
    started a topic Screenwriting software

Screenwriting software

Can anyone recommend a free screenwriting software program online? I used one launched by the BBC years back but it has since been discontinued.,
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-17-2020, 07:32 AM. Reason: Added tags
Working...
X