X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coverfly

NOT AN ENDORSEMENT -- JUST CURIOUS!!!!

https://www.coverfly.com/

This keeps showing up on my twitter feed (I don't post I just read tweets and 90% of the people I follow are writers).

One guy who works at coverfly tweeted this: Nothing like a good old spammy DM from a “script service” to start the morning. Grifters baby, always on that hustle. Especially in the screenwriting world.

So that got me thinking, don't you work for that place that is also a place for writers to spend money at?

So I don't know if this is some cheaper or alt version of the blacklist. Maybe it has so FREE services than CHARGES you for upgrades. Of course they are trying to make money.

But even the worst websites -- like scriptshadow -- have accidentally helped writers with their careers.

I'm just curious if anyone here has been using it and can report back what the business model is and any success stories?

For sure it's a great resource for writers to read other loglines and see how they finished in contests...

Comment

I just checked out the "Lists" section.

Top Rated Screenplays This This Month - The Red List - Coverfly

Honestly, it leaves me with a headache. Scripts have 12, 15, 20 "accolades" -- meaning that number of contest entered and placed for that script. THIS MONTH. That means next month they'll be different scripts listed? And they STILL can't get a sale or manager out of it? I'm exhausted even thinking about it. I'm starting to think the only way in is if you already know someone. I'm screwed.

Comment

I learned about Coverfly maybe three years ago when I got an email informing me that one of my screenplays was on The Red List.

Once I became aware of the website, I took advantage of all the free pitch programs and such. CoverflyX, the peer-to-peer notes program, has been a big help. The one-stop shopping contest entry platform makes contest season easier to manage.

Last fall, a writer development executive at Coverfly contacted me to say that a producer was interested in a low-budget action-thriller of mine that ranks high on Coverfly. He connected us and the result is a legit option -- none of that $1 option nonsense.

Writers can build profiles etc. at no charge. Here is mine as an example: https://writers.coverfly.com/profile...williams310468

I haven't really figured out how they make money, only that I haven't paid anything. It seems like a good arrow to have in your quiver -- much like contests, cold queries, The Black List and etc.

For what it's worth.

Comment

Is The Red List a list of screenplays that did well in contests you entered? Since you said you never paid or knew about the site beforehand, that's all I can think of... but must be some PAID ways to move up on the list or get on the list? Or something... courses as you said?

So it seems they take contest winners and throw them on a site in hopes 10% of them use their services? So if you entered a contest in the last 3 years your name may be on that site and you don't even know it?

Comment

It's a coverage service that outsources to certain contests, so if you entered certain contests (Script Pipeline, Nashville, a few others) then your project may have a Coverfly score and accolades attached to it. None of this is default visible though, so it's not discoverable by anyone but yourself unless you choose to make it public. Coverfly is also the coverage service behind the WeScreenplay front, so if you buy notes from WeScreenplay then your project will get a score on Coverfly as well. Again, not public unless you set it to public.

WeScreenplay is decent for cheap notes, but their scores are known to be all over the place. They gave my 1 hour pilot a rave (recommend/top 1%) and then I entered it into a variety of contests and it ate **** everywhere. It's much faster than blcklst (3 day turnaround vs. 21 days), but not as reputable.

The "red list" is a new thing Coverfly is trying to do to create a sort of ranking system based on the scores your project receive through their affiliates, but it's wonky and not worth putting a lot of stock into at the moment. The score degrades over time and seems to based on volume in addition to average rating, so it's going to favor people who are spending money to rack up lots of scores over stuff that might be better, but has fewer data points. It could eventually become a viable competitor to blcklst, but it probably needs a lot of tweaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
              Is The Red List a list of screenplays that did well in contests you entered? Since you said you never paid or knew about the site beforehand, that's all I can think of... but must be some PAID ways to move up on the list or get on the list? Or something... courses as you said?

So it seems they take contest winners and throw them on a site in hopes 10% of them use their services? So if you entered a contest in the last 3 years your name may be on that site and you don't even know it?

The best I can figure, Coverfly aggregates contest placements -- including contests that don't use them as submissions platform (Austin, for example). All I know for sure is that the ranking given one of my scripts attracted industry attention.

Comment

Glad it helped. Yes Austin I noticed was on there. It's very weird how I never heard of it -- or didn't take time to notice it, then all of a sudden it was all over my twitter feed. Of course writer twitter is a dark place. Have you been? It's hopeful and helpful mixed with just jerks. Oh wait, it's just like all writer forums! Carry on.

Comment

Coverfly is a good place where you can get the notes from other screenwriters about your screenplay. I mainly use it to get free reviews: I review other writers' screenplays - they review my screenplay. Some notes/reviews are really helpful. Way better than the notes/reviews from Blaklist and other script contests...

Comment

Working...
                  X