Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fade In update 4.0.6

I have not had a chance to check out the features/fixes, but here is what the website says:

21-May-2021
    • Added an optional “Document revision” in addition to “Current revisions”
    • Toolbar customization (and improved sizing behavior)
    • New “Flatten This Folder” in right-click menu, for Navigator folders
    • Various other updates and tweaks
    • Linux - keystrokes for nonbreaking space/hyphen were being ignored
    Last edited by ComicBent; 05-26-2021, 09:44 AM.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

What is the mobile version of Fade In like? Anyone use it?

Does Fade In works on chromebook?

I guess I could google some of this info, but why not ask...

I was thinking of getting a new iPad and giving final draft mobile another spin vs using my macbook air, but it's probably a dumb move and a waste of money! But it seems more fun!!! Something about "fun" part makes me want to type more.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      Had to use the latest FI Mobile version when my MacBook was in for repairs. Caveat, I only have an iPhone and not an iPad. It seems fine in a pinch. Lets you at least get words down in script form, if kind of kludgy using the phone keyboard (presumably it works much closer to the desktop version on an iPad with attached keyboard). Definitely a vast improvement on an earlier mobile version (2 or 3 years ago?) which I found fairly unusable

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post

Does Fade In works on chromebook?

I guess I could google some of this info, but why not ask...
        I'll be trying both the Android version of Fade In and the Linux version on a Chromebook when I get back to Idaho. That's mostly why I bought the Chromebook (today) — although its supposed 10 hour battery life was another draw. Its about the cheapest Chromebook I could find that would run Linux decently — a Samsung Chromebook 4, 11.6". Someone on eBay has "seller refurbished" ones for $100. I can't (yet) vouch for him, but he has a good eBay rating.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17462089654...53.m2749.l2649

If I can (or can't) get this to work on the Chromebook I'll report back. (Won't be back in Idaho until June 8th.)
        STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Okay ... and do not overlook the fact that version 4.0.7 has come out.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
            Okay ... and do not overlook the fact that version 4.0.7 has come out.
            Yep. I saw that. And, by the time I get home, it may be up to 4.0.8. On this computer (my beat up "traveling" computer) I'm using 3.0.642. I kind of like being able to compare the two so I'll leave this one at that version. 4.0.6 has cleared all Linux issues except for exiting "full screen minimal" with the mouse. I still lose the Menu (most times) when I do that. No problem when I use Shift+Alt+Enter (which is how I do it anyhow).
            STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Fade In works fine on a Chromebook. You'll want to get a Chromebook new enough to run Linux (but it will also run the Android version which is much more limited, some older Chromebooks run Android but not Linux — the really old ones don't run either).

My Chromebook is a Samsung Chromebook 4, with an Intel "N4000" (I believe) Celeron CPU. 4 GBs of RAM and 32 GBs of storage, but you can use a microSD card or a thumb drive for more memory. This is considered a low-end Chromebook (even new, but they're still sold). Mine cost $100. Right now the cheapest I see on eBay are $120 but these are supposed to be "New" open box. (I think that's pretty much what mine was). I've seen them cheaper than $100.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17478176018...5268%7Ciid%3A1

At any rate, to run Linux Fade In on this Chromebook.

1) Turn on Linux (not on by default and update it). Then... sudo apt update from the terminal (to list the files that can be updated). Then sudo apt upgrade (to install them).
              2) Download the Fade In file in the Linux terminal (Demo in this case, so far). wget https://fadeinpro.com/download/demo/...amd64-demo.deb (I just pasted it into the terminal).
              3) Install Fade In with sudo dpkg -i fadein-linux-amd64-demo.deb

That's it — except you'll probably want the Courier Screenplay font.

1) Download the CourierScreenplay.zip file.
              2) Move it to your Linux directory with the Chrome File Manager.
              3) Unzip the file by using the following command... unzip CourierScreenplay.zip
              4) Create a .fonts directory (with the leading period -- means "hidden" directory in Linux).
              5) Copy the four Courier Screenplay fonts (Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic) to the .fonts directory with the Chrome file manager.
              6) Tell Fade In to use this font by default. It will work as the Display and PDF font.

I was also able to get Emacs, Fountain-Mode and 'Afterwriting to work without a hitch. The Chromebook is kind of a Frankenstein Monster — runs Chrome Apps (what there are of them), Android Apps and Linux apps. Also has a 10 hour battery life (can't yet vouch for that yet, but it's already been up longer than my other laptops and the battery icon is still near the top). Keyboard is kind of a pain without the normal Function keys (but they the top does work as function keys in Linux. I don't use the Function keys much anyhow.) All in all it might work out pretty well. We'll see. There's still the root the hardware and do a normal Linux install on it.

Should add... the screen is a little "dull" on the Samsung Chromebook 4 — and you have to look at it more or less straight on. I guess this is where Samsung cut corners. Still very usable, though.

Comment

Thank you, Centos, for that detailed description of how to add the Linux version of Fade In to a Chromebook.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                  Thank you, Centos, for that detailed description of how to add the Linux version of Fade In to a Chromebook.
                  I've also been able to get Kit Scenarist, Trelby and WriterSolo to work in the Chromebook. Also Emacs with Fountain-Mode and 'Afterwriting. And it looks like the 10 hour battery life claim is pretty accurate. So, so far, the test has been successful.

Comment

Working...
                  X