Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fade In or Final Draft...?

I'm going to TRY BOTH and see which one is, well...better? Is there a big difference?

Note: if this topic has been discussed to death just send me to the right link.

Originally posted by gardnuk View Post
    I'm going to TRY BOTH and see which one is, well...better? Is there a big difference?

Each has its fans. The big difference could be price? Fade In is listed at $79.95 and Final Draft is listed at $249.99 (upgrade is $99.99).

There's also, in the higher price bracket, and comparable with these others, Movie Magic Screenwriter which I swear by, probably because I use it. Listed at $169.00

All prices are from their websites.

All have demos you can download and try out. Page length is probably limited, also check if you can save whatever you write just in case the demo is really limited.

Comment

I went to Movie Magic S’s website but found no direct link to a free demo. They mention a free demo link and then you follow up and can’t find anything---unlike the other two which guide you directly right there.
      Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 07-18-2021, 06:28 AM. Reason: Fixed font style.

Comment

I went to Movie Magic S’s website but found no direct link to a free demo. They mention a free demo link and then you follow up and can’t find anything---unlike the other two which guide you directly right there.
        Here is a link to the demos page: https://www.screenplay.com/demo-downloads/
        Will
        Done Deal Pro
        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Features-wise, there is not going to be a substantial difference. More of a cost-benefit analysis -- do you want to keep paying Final Draft $89+ (or whatever their discounted upgrade price is at the time) every time they issue a new version, versus paying Fade In the $89 once and getting free updates for life. If you need a program for actual production with studios or networks, they'll almost certainly still be using Final Draft as the industry standard.

Comment

I had few issues with Final Draft, then came their forced obsolescence. Many folks won't pay their continuous upgrades fees, but the company eventually removes the ability to reactivate the purchased software, so if you wish to stay with them, you're required to purchase the upgrade, even if it won't work with your operating system.

Fade In certainly seems to be a more viable option, but make sure you're using a current operating system, because while it should still work, they longer test their software on older systems.

Personally, I'm all for supporting any of the Final Draft alternatives that can import/export .FDX files. I believe their "industry standard" tag needs to be eradicated.

Comment

Windows... http://support.screenplay.com/downlo...WIN_Update.php

Mac (v6)... http://support.screenplay.com/downlo...MAC_Update.php

Mac (v6.5)... (For some reason they're not currently offering the Mac Demo for v6.5 — I'm guessing that's the one you need?)
              STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

If you're using a Mac, I would also look at Highland 2.

https://highland2.app/screenwriters.php
                STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

No, I'm not a mAC user, strictly Windows.

Comment

No, I'm not a mAC user, strictly Windows.
                    Okay. Then this link should work if you want to download and try out Movie Magic Screenwriter...

http://support.screenplay.com/downlo...WIN_Update.php

I actually got Movie Magic Screenwriter to work under Wine within Linux in a Chromebook. The Chromebook wasn't quite powerful enough (which is understandable, Linux Crostini is a virtual machine in ChromeOS and I had it emulating Windows – so three layers of OSes). I was amazed it worked at all.

Comment

1. Stop agitating over this. Get the Fade In demo and try it.

I have been involved with software and reading/editing scripts for over twenty years. Fade In is the best choice. (By the way, Fade In is not a big company, so it is not a "they." It is one programmer, as far as I know, just Kent Tessman, who developed and maintains the program.)

You do not have to pay for upgrades. You can use Fade In on all your personal computers. I have it on a couple of dead or dysfunctional computers now, and on a couple of computers that I use regularly.

You really can import and export Final Draft .fdx files with Fade In.

2. Screenwriter is old. I doubt that it will ever be upgraded.

As someone said, the choice of a screenwriting program may come down to price and upgrade costs. You should understand that your chance of ever selling a script is close to zero. So you should not be a sucker who falls for the Final Draft publicity that it is the "industry standard." If you ever find that you need Final Draft, buy it then, but not before. It is too expensive. If you use Fade In, but a writing partner uses Final Draft, you can still exchange files back and forth. I have done this many times in reading and editing scripts for people.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Working...
                      X