Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apps, Notecards, and Androids

Just curious what people are using app wise in 2021 to write. I'm a Macbook Air and iMac guy using Final Draft 11 as my main tool. Google Documents for ideas and outlines and treatments -- all the word processing. I use old pen and paper and notecards to jot down ideas, but I've never actually used notecards like I planned to for scenes and moving them around on the board. Am I even a real writer? On rare occasion I've used iPad with bluetooth keyboard and final draft mobile to get some work done at the coffee shop, back before the world ended.

But recently got an Amazon Kindle Fire to mess around with and it's actually pretty good finally. I bought one 5 years ago and it was terrible in every way. This one basically feels like a super cheap iPad. Fast. Responsive. Works. Pretty. I paid 90 bucks for an entertainment machine and I'm loving it. I got the kids edition in case my kids wanted to use it, but really because I loved the purple case and I wanted an excuse to get it and still feel manly.

Anyway just looking at what writing apps Android Google Playstore (I just watched a youtube video and installed google play myself and it was pretty easy) or Amazon App store may offer that I've never seen in iOS land. Or any writing app you use. I always think maybe there is some great writing app I'm not using that would make my work more productive.

I found this article. https://becomeawritertoday.com/best-...ps-for-android

And of course if you have used an android tablet to write screenplays what are you using and how does it work?

I guess I'd listen to even the PC / Linux nerds, but I'm not happy about it. Chromebook people step up too.

And if you are so old school that you only use a typewriter, well then I don't even know how you are reading this sentence.

Let's talk WRITING APPS.

I have a pretty nice Bluetooth keyboard and I've tried it with my Fire to write screenplays. (I haven't used it much, especially lately but when I did it worked pretty well.) I used KIT Scenarist Mobile, which allows you to email your scripts to yourself but mostly I used Fountain format in JotterPad and copied the text files to Simplenote (where they're available on all my computers). I've always found carrying both a keyboard and a tablet to be kind of a pain, though. (The Fire tablet mostly sits around with a dead battery, I keep forgetting to charge it.)

But, because of your post about a year ago I wanted to see how well Linux applications worked on a Chromebook. I've got a couple Chromebooks (14" one after an 11.6" one because the screen was a bit small for my old eyes) and use them a lot, and both Android KIT Scenarist Mobile and JotterPad work fine on them. (Although the newer version of JotterPad has gotten so naggy about buying the "deluxe" version that it's now kind of a pain to use.) Mostly I use my Chromebooks as Linux laptops because the battery life is about 12 hours and I can't match that on a used $100 laptop. And I use all the applications I use on a regular Linux laptop (Fountain-Mode in Emacs (with 'Afterwriting) and Trelby are my favorites — but I won't go into detail on this, as I've talked about it before).

Mainly I bought the first Chromebook to see if Linux Fade In works on them — and it does. Pretty cheap screenplay writing machine.
    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
    X