X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fade In 4.0.11 Released

From Fade In's website...

27-Sep-2021 (updated)
    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

27-Sep-2021 (updated)
    Nonbreaking Hyphen I suspect, but do not know, that the issue with nonbreaking hyphens was something that happened when the built-in PDF creator was used. It seems unlikely that it would have been a problem with other PDF drivers, but who knows? Anyway, I recommend using the Fade In PDF creator in nearly all cases. It works very well and produces a small PDF that is comparable in size to commercial software. It also has some other advantages, but I will not go into that matter here.

If you are wondering what a nonbreaking hyphen is, this may be helpful. It looks just like a regular hyphen, but a word with a nonbreaking hyphen does not break at the hyphen when the word needs to wrap (in some fashion) at the end of a line. This can be important when you type things like telephone numbers and (even more so) highways numbers like I-20 for Interstate 20. You do not want 'I-' at the end of a line, followed by '20' on the next. It just looks dumb.

PDF Importer Fade In does a good job of importing PDF files. However, some PDF drivers deviate from the PDF standard (I guess there really is a specification, though I sometimes wonder just how specific it is). The PDF may contain so much garbage that Fade In chokes on it. Final Draft PDF files import very well into Fade In. The worst PDF files that I have encountered are those produced with the Microsoft driver. When someone sends me a PDF that the Microsoft driver has produced, I always have to use a commercial program that I have to convert it to a plain text file before I can do anything with it. Then I have to work on the text file with some "regular expressions" (super-advanced Find and Replace) to strip out all the page breaks and page numbers. It is a hassle.

This sounds a bit confusing. It refers to what you see in the right-click menu if you click on a scene in the Navigator. A new menu option has been added that lets you select all the text in a scene if you right click on that scene within the Navigator list of scenes. This probably has some usefulness, but I was more interested to see that you can use the same menu to copy a whole scene. Being able to copy a scene in this manner is definitely a good feature (I was unaware of it). By the way, the Cut Scene option on the menu works just like Selection and Ctrl+X in the Windows system.

I am glad to see that the programmer, Kent Tessman, is addressing issues in Linux. Maybe Centos will keep us informed about the Linux version.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
      I am glad to see that the programmer, Kent Tessman, is addressing issues in Linux. Maybe Centos will keep us informed about the Linux version.
      About the only issue I still have with the Linux version is that, (most of the time) when coming out of the Full Screen Mode, when clicking the mouse instead of using the key combination, I lose the main menu. I can save the document from the documents TAB and reopen without losing anything, so it's a minor issue for me. I figure this is probably due to the multiple Linux Desktops Fade In has to support and I'm not too concerned about it. The first version of 4.0.10 had issues with supporting a library that was too modern for many of the Linux distributions out there (especially important to Kent was that it stopped it working in Crostini on Chromebooks). He had that fixed (reverted back to an older library) in about two or three days. So no complaints.

I haven't any issues with its PDF output, but I haven't done any advanced stuff with Fade In.
      STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
      X