Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you go to get your feedback?

I’m talking about feedback on an entire script, not just a few pages or a scene. I know we can post those things here but I’m looking to get feedback on my full screenplay when I finish it which shouldn’t be much longer. I already know it needs work, I’m just looking for the best place to go. I’ve always gone to The Black List in the past but is that the best place or is there something better? I’m willing to pay for a script evaluation but obviously don’t wanna get taken by some huckster. Thanks guys!

There are probably some kind souls here that would read your spec. I write comedy and I barely can read those anymore. Is it the logline you posted before or a new concept? People find writers to read their work also by joining writer's group. There are some paid readers that people use they like and are cheaper than those 500 dollar note people. More in the 75 to 150 range, but still I don't think one has to pay for notes. You should be able to find fellow writers in real life or online to trade with -- they read your stuff, you read theirs. It's part of the fun.

Comment

I’m afraid I don’t have many friends who are writers, online or otherwise. I don’t live near a big city where you might find like a Meetup group of writers or something like that.

Comment

Found this in a search: https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriti...d_script_swap/

Obviously can't vouch for it, but if you try it, please let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
          Found this in a search: https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriti...d_script_swap/

Obviously can't vouch for it, but if you try it, please let us know.
          I've read some scripts from reddit through that forum and they (of course) vary wildly from near professional writers to people who can't write a scene. So, it's always good to swap a few sample pages before committing to the whole enchilada.

Comment

FWIW, I'd argue the process of giving notes is as important as getting notes. I was in a few screenwriting groups before I broke in and it definitely helped.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
              FWIW, I'd argue the process of giving notes is as important as getting notes. I was in a few screenwriting groups before I broke in and it definitely helped.
              I’d be happy to help others by providing notes, it’s just that no one really cares what I have to say, haha. I read screenplays (produced ones) in my spare time anyway so it wouldn’t be a big change for me.

Comment

Check out the Reddit group. You could also start a topic here asking for swaps and maybe you’ll get a taker.

Comment

Acooljt, I'll give it a read. My email address: [email protected]

Good luck
                  TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
                    Acooljt, I'll give it a read. My email address: [email protected]

Good luck
                    Thanks Mark! I’m not quite finished yet but as soon as I am, which should be in the next week or so, I’ll get it over to you. Once again, mucho gracias!

Comment

Mark is a good egg.

Acooljt is this spec the one you mentioned before or a new idea? Just curious what the genre is? Drama? Any more details might lead to more reads.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                        Mark is a good egg.

Acooljt is this spec the one you mentioned before or a new idea? Just curious what the genre is? Drama? Any more details might lead to more reads.
                        No, this is a different one than I mentioned before. This one is a drama with a pretty simple premise: Sherlock Holmes investigates the Jack the Ripper murders.

Comment

Originally posted by Acooljt View Post

No, this is a different one than I mentioned before. This one is a drama with a pretty simple premise: Sherlock Holmes investigates the Jack the Ripper murders.
                          That's very intriguing. I think you'd get a lot of reads for that. And also great to talk about IP and public domain -- as I was thinking a few months ago about how so many writers get their start writing their own version of Peter Pan type of thing. So I think it's a solid idea for many reasons.

Comment

Try coverfly. It's a peer review website where you get tokens for reading scripts and then you put your script out there and offer so many tokens for anyone to read yours. It's an easy way to get three strangers to read your script and see what their impressions of it are.

Comment

Originally posted by Acooljt View Post
                              This one is a drama with a pretty simple premise: Sherlock Holmes investigates the Jack the Ripper murders.
                              You might have a unique take on this that's exciting. But just so you know, this is such a common idea that it's actually a subgenre of detective stories. It's been made as a movie at least a couple of times, there are countless novels and short stories about this, and even a video game. Here's a list of the top 21 novels with that plot. https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/...Ripper_Fiction

Comment

Working...
                              X