Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Script Analysis

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you know a good script consultant that's cheap and helpful. Also, anyone know of a site where I can post or upload my script for others to read? Thanks

Re: Script Analysis

Take a peek at the two threads at the top of Script Services, Software, & Supplies forum.

-Derek
    My Web Page - sci-fi, fantasy, horror, cyborgs, AIs, dragons, vampyres.
    To make you a vampire they have to suck your blood. And then you have to suck their blood. It's like a whole big sucking thing. Mostly they're just gonna kill you.

Comment

hotscripts is great -- they only charge eighty bucks and give great recomendations/story notes.
      "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Done Deal's own La Femme Joyeuse is a professional reader (for three major prodcos), as well as a polished screenwriter. She'll give you honest and comprehensive coverage. Check out her thread on "Announcements".

Comment

Tom Lazarus, the writer of STIGMATA, does consultations for $500.

He gives you a detailed analysis of your whole script and then allows either a phone conversation or in person consultation. You can also email him back and forth during the rewrite. I think he'll help with your query letter too.

I've taken a class with Tom and like him a lot. He's brutally direct sometimes, but that's good if you like it rough! . He's very fun, too. Love Tom.

His website is tomlazarus.com
          "The question isn't who will let me, but who is going to stop me?," -- Ayn Rand (via Howard Roark in The Fountainhead)

Comment

Looks like he just reopened his offer...

http://sixtybucknotes.blogspot.com/
            @PatriotFrames

Comment

Gee - the prices for this service really jump around.

From $60 through $500.

Maybe I should set up shop: $50! For Done Dealers only.

Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

seriously...what's w the $500??

that's nuts

Comment

Originally posted by Qazworld View Post
                  seriously...what's w the $500??

that's nuts

They must send a strip-o-gram to sing you your coverage.
                  "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Well, I've heard studios pay script readers like $50-$60 per script.

I've received studio coverage - the synopsis is the big chunk - and it's intended for producers (who have yet to read the script).

A writer doesn't need to see a synopsis of their own script - they know what the story is about.

Notes on mine boiled down to maybe a paragraph or two - and these are usually the critiques rationalizing for the pass, consider or recommend. And these notes are very general, not "line-item" specific.

And most of those readers are also aspiring screenwriters. Once they sell their own scripts, I doubt they'll continue as freelance readers.

No offense to anyone - but I don't see how being a studio reader qualifies someone as a script or story analyst charging upwards of $100+.

Because a reader's experience doesn't focus on script or story analysis.

So I'm thinking that the only thing that separates us from other readers is - a gig.

I'm seriously considering doing this myself.

Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Well, I'm not a script reader or analyst, but Femme Joyeuse--my writing partner--does what is essentially script analysis in her coverage. She charges a lot less than $500, and gives comprehensive written and phone analysis. Her sense of scriptwriting strategy--of knowing what works and what doesn't, and what development executives look for, has not only stood her in good stead as a reader but us as a writing team.

Comment

500$ is a lot of money.
                        It has to be one heck of an analysis to be worth that price.
                        A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
                        Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
                        Money is better than compliments.

Comment

We discuss here what execs are looking for all the time - a commercial concept. Which is something one can analyze from the logline.

I mean, should someone pay for script analysis if the concept doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell?

It would be easier to save aspiring writers cash if there was one price for analyzing the logline and one-sheet that the writer has provided. Based on that, if the story sounds commercial, then provide a second tier price for a full read.

Maybe that's how I'll structure the service I'm contemplating. Hmmm.

Comment

Could work, sc111.

Corona
                            I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
                            I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

hmph.

i dont want any more dders to get sc's bright idea.

thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X