What's the WGA's excuse for charging $20?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's the WGA's excuse for charging $20?

Wikipedia explains it better than I ever could: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_core

At least, I think it does. I haven't read the entry. (I'm lazy, remember? )

And I'm only kidding, Wilson.
    "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

A couple hours a day for three months? I hope you don't seriously think that's all it takes to write a good script. Maybe a passable first draft....

Originally posted by prescribe22 View Post
      Give me a good reason why a script sale goes for 6 figures.

A ditch digger can work 60 hours for a whole year and make a fraction of what a screenwriter makes writing a couple hours a day for 3 months.

It's not about what goes into it... it's what the service is worth to the buyer.

The WGA is offering a registration service. If it's worth it to you, then pay the $20. If not, then don't.

Either way, remember your complaint when you're negotiating your next script sale.

Comment

Commenting here, having read some of the posts

I only read about half the posts.

Look, why gripe about $20? How many scripts is anyone pumping out and registering?

And does anyone think that online registration, which involves storage on a server and maintenance of the server, does not involve cost?

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberian exile View Post
          A couple hours a day for three months? I hope you don't seriously think that's all it takes to write a good script. Maybe a passable first draft....
          How long was you last feature assignment?

Comment

Assignments are full time work -- not a couple of hours a day.

Comment

cyberian:

If you can actually sit in front of a computer writing 40+ hours a week, I give you mad props.

You are the man/woman!

Comment

Aw, Comicbent beat me to it.

Maybe the WGA's registration service is not exactly like Facebook -- but read this:

"The company [Facebook] is likely spending well over a $1 million per month on electricity alone, say experts we've spoken with. Bandwidth is likely another $500,000 or more per month on top of that. The company has earmarked $100 million to buy 50,000 servers this year and next. And sources say they've been buying one NetApp 3070http://i.ixnp.com/images/v3.66/t.gif storage system per week just to keep up with all this user generated content. At up to $2 million each, that adds up quickly - we've heard estimates that they may have spent as much as $30 million this year alone with the company. And the icing on the cake - earmark another $15 million per year in office and datacenter rent payments.

And don't forget those human assets. With 750 employees and growing, Facebook is spending at least another $10 million per month on payroll.
                It costs a couple of hundred million dollars a year just to keep the lights on at Facebook. But the real problem is keeping up with growth, particularly storage needs. Add another $100 million or more per year for capital expenditures, and you've got a company that's doing exactly the opposite of printing money."

Comment

Spot on, trujosh. People always see things through their own uninvolved eyes. They don't stop to think about all the costs involved in maintaining a service.

And I have to throw out this question again: How many scripts is someone pumping out each year?

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Yeah, twenty bucks ain't much in the great scheme of things.

It costs ten bucks to get something notarized down here, so twenty for an actual registration with an electronic copy on file ain't bad.

(Does Kinko's still charge a buck a page or some other obscene amount to scan something to PDF?)
                    If you really like it you can have the rights
                    It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Wow, people are still posting in this thread? I tried to let it die! It just won't die though. I love it.
                      Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X