Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• online back-up service

I've had some puter crashes over the past few years, including a serious virus three months ago. I was stupid (and lazy) this last time and hadn't backed up my work in a month, so I lost a lot of stuff. A friend of mine recently recommended one of those online back-up services that saves all files automatically every day. I purchased Mozy just yesterday and it seems really great. At just $55 for the full year, I don't have to worry about doing the back-ups myself anymore. I think this type of service is a good one -- especially for writers. Has anyone else here purchased a service like this?

Re: online back-up service

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
    I've had some puter crashes over the past few years, including a serious virus three months ago. I was stupid (and lazy) this last time and hadn't backed up my work in a month, so I lost a lot of stuff. A friend of mine recently recommended one of those online back-up services that saves all files automatically every day. I purchased Mozy just yesterday and it seems really great. At just $55 for the full year, I don't have to worry about doing the back-ups myself anymore. I think this type of service is a good one -- especially for writers. Has anyone else here purchased a service like this?
    I just carry a flashdrive that fits in my wallet. Combine that with how often I e-mail stuff to friends, I really don't have much of an issue. That said, whatever it takes to back up your files is worth it. Losing lots of stuff sucks.
    QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Webspace is the best way to go.

The one screenquery.com is under is only $8 a month. Comes with a CP and all sorts of easy to use stuff. Uploading and archiving is no problem.
      ScreenQuery.com | $5.50 Query Blast Service
      ScreenQuery Monthly Genre Contests - Coming Soon!

Comment

Mozy provides 2GB for free.

You can also use Mediafire - make your files private or assign them a password - and do not share the link.

Both are great.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

I'm using Dropbox:

https://www.getdropbox.com/home

-- which also has the advantage of automatically syncing files across my desktop and laptop. 2 GB for free.
          Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

send copies to Gmail... date them in the subject lines...
            "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

I'm also using Dropbox for all my writing. The syncing is great, and it's also nice to be able to get to my files (securely) from a browser when I need to. Up to 2GB is free, which is plenty for a writer.

If you join thru this referral link, we BOTH get an extra quarter gig of space:
              https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTMwNDM1Njk

Joel

Comment

A tech show that I list to on the weekends highly recommends this service: http://www.carbonite.com/default.aspx

Might be worth checking out. (I have not used them.)
                Will
                Done Deal Pro
                www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Just out of curiosity, Will, is that Kim Komando that you listen to?

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I listen to Leo Laporte: http://techguylabs.com/radio/pmwiki.php
                    Will
                    Done Deal Pro
                    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Just started using dropbox. It's free and super convenient. Definitely recommend it.

Comment

If you use Symantec software, like Norton 360, you get 2GB free secure online storage and can buy more for cheap. Reliable and can schedule back-ups to run in computer down-time.
                        "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Working...
                        X