No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV converter box

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
    Which coaxial cable / end goes nowhere? The cable OUT from box to antenna hole or the one IN from TV antenna into hole in box ?

Well either way, it looks like I'm buying a new antenna.

As for 900 channels... oh my lord, no thanks. I'd never leave the apartment !
    I'm not following. Maybe because I'm not home to check. But the signal goes IN from the antenna to the box and then OUT from the box to the TV.

So my coaxial cable to nowhere that I'm using to pick up the signal because I'm too cheap to buy an antenna is plugged into the IN hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
      the signal goes IN from the antenna to the box and then OUT from the box to the TV. .
      Yes that's right and in my case the IN hole doesn't work, at least not with the cable from my antenna.

Sigh, well, Radio Shack it is.

Comment

Sigh, well, Radio Shack it is.
        Radio Shack is where you go if you want to pay extra for no good reason. I've always found their stuff overpriced in comparison to other electronics stores.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
          Radio Shack is where you go if you want to pay extra for no good reason. I've always found their stuff overpriced in comparison to other electronics stores.
          What are some other options? To me convenience should be factored in, so if there's a RS across the street and a discount place clear across town, hmmm, there would have to be a sizeable price difference to make that attractive to me. But isn't it usually just a couple of bucks ?

Comment

I still don't understand what the TV antenna has to do with anything anymore!
            You need the antenna because you still have to pick up a signal to get the channels. In my case I get way better reception now than I did with the old analog signals. It can be wonky, though. Sometimes I lose reception briefly if an airplane goes by.
            "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
            ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

best buy - your other option - but if you have to drive to get to one and spend money on gasoline just walk across the street and spend it at RS.

Comment

This doesn't make sense. The whole point of a TV Converter Box is to allow you to use your existing TV and antenna with digital television transmissions -- most even had an analog "feed through" so you could hook them in advance of the cutover. Every box I've seen advertised (I don't have one) shows a normal coaxial (RF) connection. The input on the TV Converter Box should be the same as the one on your televsion.

The FCC has a site dedicated to setting up your new Converter Box.
                http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts...verterbox.html

You'll note that it states "You will need your analog TV, the antenna you have been using (indoor or outdoor), and the coaxial wire that currently connects your antenna to your TV (as pictured on the right)."

I'm curious what brand of TV Converter Box you're using. Something doesn't sound right here -- you should *not* have to buy a new antenna. I
                STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                  best buy - your other option - but if you have to drive to get to one and spend money on gasoline just walk across the street and spend it at RS.
                  Best Buy has sh*t stuff for overly jacked up prices. We get people all the time complaining about Best Buy. And by all the time, I mean that i can only remember one customers specifically. But it's true.

Do not go to Best Buy. Go to Walmart. And this is not me just plugging my store. This is me as a fellow consumer not wanting to see you get ripped off.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
                    I'm curious what brand of TV Converter Box you're using. Something doesn't sound right here -- you should *not* have to buy a new antenna. I
                    Oh, you don't HAVE to buy one. But, generally speaking, most antennas people have are crap that barely worked with analog in the first place. As I mentioned earlier, digital signal doesn't propagate (read: transmit) as far as analog, making it harder to pick up with an old analog antenna. Hence why I said he should just spring for a Digital Amplified antenna, which is not only geared towards picking up the new signal, but is extra-sensative, making it possible to get the some number of, if not more, channels one had before the switch. Phillips makes several good ones.

Trust me. This is my job. Blah. I should get paid to write this post. At 9.70 an hour, I just probably made a buck fifty.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Originally posted by 12916studios View Post
                      Do not go to Best Buy. Go to Walmart. And this is not me just plugging my store. This is me as a fellow consumer not wanting to see you get ripped off.
                      Unless you have a question. In which case... yeah... Don't forget Best Buy price matches the 22 cents you save at Wal-Mart plus a % of the difference. And they actually know about the products.
                      http://thekillbox.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lucidimage View Post
                        Unless you have a question. In which case... yeah... Don't forget Best Buy price matches the 22 cents you save at Wal-Mart plus a % of the difference. And they actually know about the products.
                        Walmart does the same with its competitors. And from everything I have heard about the store near me, the cast and crew of the geek squad are incompetence personified.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Working...
                        X