This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Screenplay Mechanic (EvilRbt)

While we have you on the spot I thought it might be a good time to probe you on your communist sympathies. Yes, Sir, I am calling you 'a red'
    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Trust me, I could make a lot more money and make writers a lot happier by giving out more "considers." But unlike many other coverage services (one of which I work for), I'd rather be more sincere than try to drum up repeat business.
      This is interesting. What services offer the writer the best chance of getting a consider then. And did you just suggest the one you work for is one of them. When by all other accounts (that I've heard) they are difficult.

Comment

I can't comment further upon the competition or a company I may or may not work for. I will say this: it's not easy to get a full "consider" anywhere, nor should it be.

Now, about my Communist beliefs... LOL
        sigpic
        NOTES / COVERAGE
        10,000+ Screenplays
        DD Thread Facebook
        [email protected]

Comment

Believe it or not my intent wasn't to impugn your service- I just thought Montana's math didn't add up.

If in fact you're lucky enough to see those projects take off, you'll take my congratulations with you when you quit your day job.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz2074 View Post
            Believe it or not my intent wasn't to impugn your service- I just thought Montana's math didn't add up.

If in fact you're lucky enough to see those projects take off, you'll take my congratulations with you when you quit your day job.
            Thanks, Buzz. Like I said above, sorry if I came off defensive. No hard feelings here whatsoever. I'm actually surprised it took so long for someone to ask that question and it's valid, so probably best addressed anyway.

All of my projects are in other people's hands now. Norrington is rewriting "LP" and due to turn in a draft any day. But he's shooting "The Crow" first so "LP" might even have to wait until next year (boo!). "Bullet Run" is casting and has Xavier Gens attached to direct, but he's currently filming "Fallout" in Canada. "Dangerous Days" is long story but should still shoot this summer... Fingers crossed all around.

For now, here I am and it's read, read, write, read...
            sigpic
            NOTES / COVERAGE
            10,000+ Screenplays
            DD Thread Facebook
            [email protected]

Comment

My experience with the mechanic has been positive, i.e. he gave me good notes, and let me know the way a studio would think. My last script he looked over was a kind of rough draft so I didn't ask for the synopsis. I find rough drafts don't need a synopsis during the first draft.

Good cheap notes from an unbiased source. I plan on using him again if I can ever get my ass in gear and finish the latest.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                My experience with the mechanic has been positive, i.e. he gave me good notes, and let me know the way a studio would think. My last script he looked over was a kind of rough draft so I didn't ask for the synopsis. I find rough drafts don't need a synopsis during the first draft.

Good cheap notes from an unbiased source. I plan on using him again if I can ever get my ass in gear and finish the latest.

HH
                What is the point of the synopsis anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                  What is the point of the synopsis anyway?
                  All industry coverage includes a synopsis for a variety of reasons. Execs like to use it for an "assisted read." Writers like to use them for an outline or a means of keeping track of each draft. Some writers might like readers to write one simply so they can tell the script was actually read from cover-to-cover.

For those who don't see a point in a synopsis, I also provide coverage w/o a synopsis for $55. I'm happy not to write them as they're the most time consuming aspect of coverage anyway.
                  sigpic
                  NOTES / COVERAGE
                  10,000+ Screenplays
                  DD Thread Facebook
                  [email protected]

Comment

I probably wasn't clear in my previous post.

A synopsis is invaluable when you think you've got the script where you want it to be. Having another pair of eyes regurgitate what you think you wrote helps quite a bit.

However, when I'm doing a first draft, I don't want/need a synopsis as I already know what the story is. Subsequent drafts are where I work on the details.

That may not be the norm for most other writers, but that's just the way I roll.

The last one the Mechanic did for me, I didn't want the synopsis, mostly for the reasons above, but also 'cause I wanted to get it into a contest. That I didn't place in the top 1000 may indicate that I probably needed a synopsis, but I'm hard-headed that way.

HH

Comment

What's the usual turn around time for coverage?
                      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I've gotten coverage back as fast as overnight, and as long as five days after submitting. Never too long...

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                          What's the usual turn around time for coverage?
                          I just sent him a new one of mine on Saturday. He was booked through the 29th at that point. Best bet is e-mail and ask. He responds immediately most of the time.
                          If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
                          Dave Barry

Comment

I just tried the service the other week. Sent a script that has already received a decent amount of industry feedback. EvilRbt's comments and criticisms were on-point and helpful.

I actually think that in the future, I could save a lot of time and money using his coverage to help determine whether it's time to promote, rewrite or abandon a script.

Comment

Working over notes from Evil on a first draft I got back last week. Great input! Great service!

Out.

(Oh, and this f'er will win Nicholl's, evilrbt. Just sayin'.)

Comment

Originally posted by LeadSolo View Post
                                Working over notes from Evil on a first draft I got back last week. Great input! Great service!

Out.

(Oh, and this f'er will win Nicholl's, evilrbt. Just sayin'.)
                                If you win Nicholl's, I'll be the first to say "well deserved." Make it happen!

Thanks for the props too. Really appreciate it.
                                sigpic
                                NOTES / COVERAGE
                                10,000+ Screenplays
                                DD Thread Facebook
                                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X